Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day

Opening Thoughts: I'd like to wish all of you and yours a Happy Valentine's Day. Let's see, my test is over, that's right now the only good thing about my test I can think of. I did have a good workout though. This is the best shape I've been in on February 14th since high school, so I hopefully I can keep this up. Let me tell you, it was just nice to relax tonight and watch some basketball, and was it good!!!!!

  • Pittsburgh 68, Syracuse 64. Right now (and I can't believe I'd ever say this), but Pitt is the best team in the Big East. Syracuse looked to have this game under control, leading 58-50, with a little over 5 minutes to go. Then, it became Carl Krauser's game and ball and he took it home. 3 big 3s down the stretch got Pitt back in it, and some big foul shots from Chevy Troutman gave Pitt the season sweep over the Cuse, despite committing 17 turnovers and giving up 12 offensive rebounds. For having just played Saturday in big games and having to travel to Syracuse, both teams played very well that made for a good game. I thought the Cuse was over the hump, with Gerry McNamara getting 16 points and 10 assists, and the defense becoming more active, even putting on some full-court pressure that gave Pitt trouble. But Krauser stepped up, and Pitt is on a roll.
  • Texas Tech 80, Kansas 79, 2OT. I'm trying to think of a better game I've watched this year and right now I can't think of one. Kansas is clearly the more talented game, but Tech made up for it with their gutty play, and smooth Bob Knight motion offense. I honestly thought when the game went into overtime, Tech had lost their chance. When it went to a second overtime, I thought there was no way Tech would win, especially then falling behind by 5 in the second overtime. But Coach Knight found his mismatch against KU's 3-2 zone, putting Martin Zino on the baseline against bigger, but slower Sasha Kaun, getting him to the foul line. Then, with 3.6 seconds left, Darryl Doba hit a deep 3 at the top of the key to put Tech ahead. Finally, Aaron Miles's 35 foot runner clanged off the glass. Consider this: Tech's starting backcourt (3 guards), played 148 of the possible 150 minutes!!!!! Bob Knight has to like how his team plays. 46% shooting, got to the foul line 26 times, only committed 10 turnovers and had 16 assists. This, by far, is his best coaching job. Nothing was expected from Texas Tech at the beginning of the year, but with this win, barring an unforeseen collapse, they're in the NCAAs and remain in 3rd place in the Big 12. What a great college basketball game.
  • Florida A&M 49, Savannah St. 44. In the Toilet Bowl, Savannah St. lost their last game of the year to finish 0-28. They're an independent, so they don't get to play in a conference tournament. They're the first team to go winless since beloved Prairie View A&M in the 1991-92 season.
Jeff Garcia was released by the Browns after only one season. You have to think the Browns will draft a quarterback with the #3 pick in the draft, who right now would be Aaron Rodgers from Cal. Also, the NHL will cancel their season on Wednesday. I'm not the biggest hockey fan, but I will miss playoff hockey, that always filled up the months of April and May nicely on weeknights instead of having to watch NBA playoff basketball.

Jen narrowed the field to 2 on The Bachelorette, letting Ryan go, keeping John Paul and Jerry. I love Jen, but I disagreed with her choice here (hopefully the Ohio University education isn't clouding her judgment). Jerry seems to be putting on a show now, which I don't like, while Ryan was very genuine and caring. So in 2 weeks, it will either be John Paul, the youngster, or Jerry, Mr. Romantic. But next week is the tell-all special that will even include none other than Mr. Andrew Firestone himself.

And, I think that is all for tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links