Friday, January 12, 2007

Gator Bait

Well, there's been enough post-game analysis of Ohio State/Florida, but here are my feelings summed up:

  • Ohio St. got outcoached, period. If they played 10 times, I really think OSU would win 6. I don't think Florida has that much more talent or is that much faster than OSU. Urban Meyer had a brilliant gameplan and his team executed it to a tee. Jim Tressel had a John Cooper-like gameplan and we know how that worked out for Cooper.
  • I've never seen Jim Tressel panic until he went for that 4th and 1. After that, I knew OSU wouldn't win.
  • This was the first time a controversial #2 won the championship.
  • Troy Smith should give back his Heisman. He had no pocket presence, got happy feet in the pocket.
  • I talked about how I didn't know how good Ohio St. really was after Michigan got soundly beaten by USC. Well, I think they're still good, but definitely not all-world good.

So I finished 20-12 in bowl season, I'll take it. But I've failed to pick the winner in the last 3 national championships. I'm going to have to fix that. USC would be my preseason #1 for next year.

Tomorrow, this is what I'm looking forward to in hoops:

  • West Virginia/Marquette. Can WVU rebound from their loss at Notre Dame? They'll need to shoot the ball better. Marquette was struggling until breaking UConn's home winning streak to get their first Big East win. Marquette's guards against WVU's 1-3-1 will be an interesting matchup.
  • Indiana/Penn St. Indiana 85, Purdue 58. Maybe I've underestimated Kelvin Sampson and IU? I root for IU, I admit it. They're one of the traditional names in college hoops. It's always nice to see Indiana, UCLA, North Carolina, etc., doing well. After such a big win, State College could be a trap. Penn St. is tough at home.
  • Villanova/Syracuse. Villanova got a big win at Georgetown, Syracuse won at Marquette. This will be a battle of frontcourts. They might cancel each out which means it will come down to Mike Nardi of Nova and Eric Devendorf of the Cuse.
  • Tennessee/Ohio St. Tough week for the Buckeyes (darn). OSU still hasn't beaten a top 25 team. Here's their chance before the Vols fall out of the top 25 after losing to Vandy this week. OSU can't win the Big 10 or the national championship without Greg Oden being able to fully use his right hand. Ron Lewis can't have another game like he did at Wisconsin.
  • Kansas/Iowa St. Iowa St. has been playing better of late and the Hilton is always a tough place to play. Will Kansas bring the intensity like they did vs. Oklahoma St and not play to the level of their competition. If they don't, could be an upset here.
  • N. Carolina/Virginia Tech. Va. Tech brings it against the big names. Blacksburg will be ready. UNC needs to play a full 40 minutes, which they didn't do at Virginia. If UNC doesn't play good defense, this game will be close. Va. Tech's guards have the athleticism and size to get to the rim.

And of course, I'll be keeping my eye on all of the scores.

I watched Ocean's 12 tonight, the first time since I saw it in the theater. I liked it a lot better and am actually looking forward to Ocean's 13.

The Eagles are the only road team I like in the NFL playoffs this week.

David Beckham coming to play soccer in the US will only help the LA franchise. He's nowhere near the level of Pele. Until there are American born and bred global soccer stars or we win a World Cup, soccer will not take off here. Unfortunately, a sport that doesn't see more offense than hockey will have trouble catching on. Look where hockey has been relegated to, Versus, better known for the Tour De France. I like soccer. I'll watch the World Cup and the NCAA Final 4s. I hope it catches on, but I don't see it in the near future.

Prince William's girlfriend, Kate Middleton, seems perfect. I think I would like her, even more than Keira Knightley.

We've been spoiled with good winter weather in Michigan. That's about to change this weekend as the first big winter storm rolls in.

I'm really looking forward to attending my first North American International Auto Show. Seeing all the cars, especially the concept cars should be very cool.

Should be a great day of sports tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links