Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I Can't Believe I'm Doing This

I have nothing else to do. I spent close to 3 hours practicing my presentation. I have cleaned the apartment for my aunt and uncle and their family who arrive tomorrow for this weekend's activities. So I'm taking a step out of my comfort zone and heading to Country Night uptown in a little bit. For those of you who know me, country music and I have never gotten along. I just can't relate to it, can't get into it, etc., etc. But I'm giving it one more try tonight as part of trying to get rid of a little stress buildup. So this should be interesting.

Yesterday, I was worried my thesis defense wouldn't last that long. After going through it today, I'm no longer worried about its length. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I'll practice again tomorrow, but it's mostly going to be reading from my thesis itself, so the main thing is making it all flow together.

The Tour completed its trek through the high mountains by climbing out of the Pyrennes, finishing in the familiar town of Pau. Four men stayed away with Oscar Periero winning the sprint at the end, making up for his 2nd place on Sunday. There was no change at the top, Lance Armstrong is in control. He donned his 78th Yellow Jersey today, which now ties him with "The Badger" Bernard Hinault for 2nd most of all time. The Badger was known for his tenaciousness, he was the original Boss of the Peloton.

The Frenchman won 5 Tours, his 5th coming at the expense of American Greg LeMond. LeMond and Hinault were teammates from 1984-86. In 1985, Hinault held the race lead, LeMond was 2nd. Hinault crashed while descending a mountain, then fell behind up the finishing climb on that particular stage. LeMond had a chance to take the lead, but the team director called him back to take care of Hinault. LeMond was furious, but waited for Hinault. Hinault won his 5th Tour with LeMond a close 2nd. The next year, because LeMond had helped him, Hinault pledged he would help LeMond win the Tour. But in the early stages, it was Hinault who took the lead, leaving LeMond furious and confused again. LeMond proved to be the stronger rider, taking the lead in the mountains, winning what would be the 1st of 3 Tours.

Well, better put my dancin' boots on, I gotta get ready to Boot Scootin' Boogie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links