Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My Return

8 days is an eternity between posts for me, but there have been good reasons why I haven't been able to post. I'll get into those in a minute. For you SEC basketball fans, I apologize, there won't be a preview. Let me just say if Kentucky doesn't win, I'll be shocked. Alabama will be a team to contend with also, they have great size, but will need someone besides Ron Steele to score from the outside. My sleeper is Georgia. Dennis Felton has the program coming back onto its feet and has some talented players, they may contend for an NIT berth. The season has started and just like last year, I'll break down the big games for you.

Speaking of which, Miami opens their regular season at Alabama tonight in the 1st round of the Preseason NIT. Miami doesn't have the size, but they have the ability to make shots, something Alabama doesn't have, so it will be an interesting matchup. The winner will play the winner of Wisconsin-Milwaukee/Memphis. If Miami gets hot from the 3 point line and stays close on the boards, there might be an upset.

Also tonight, Miami football hosts Bowling Green in a game that will most likely decide the MAC East. Omar Jacobs will play tonight, so BG's offense will have everyone ready to go. The weather is nasty here, rainy and windy, so it might slow down the offenses a little bit. Turnovers will be a big key tonight, especially for Miami. Look for BG to put 7-8 in the box and stop the run, putting the game on Josh Betts's shoulders. If Josh can make good decisions, he should have a big night. BG's defense relies on confusing the opposing offense with multiple looks. When they can't provoke confusion, they get beat. Miami will need great play from their front 4 tonight. If 4 guys can get pressure on Jacobs, Miami can drop 7 into coverage, giving Jacobs little to work with. Despite the weather, hopefully the students turn out to give Miami a home field advantage something like 2 years ago....

I apologize if I've talked about this game before, but this week has brought up memories from 2 years ago. BG was ranked 19th nationally and were coming off a win over Northern Illinois, which was witnessed on ESPN and by the College Gameday crew. Miami was ranked 25th and hadn't lost since Iowa, so it was their chance to become the MAC Daddy. It was the first week of November, yet gametime temperature (Tuesday night) was 70 degrees. I wore a t-shirt and shorts, it was that warm. The ladies were in their small tanktops, it was great. 90 minutes before the game started, the student section was full, already harrassing BG quarterback Josh Harris & Co. It was ESPN's first appearance at Miami, and the crowd was ready, all 28,000+ of them, there wasn't a seat to be found.

On the video board, it showed Miami in the tunnel ready to come out. When this image came on, the crowd began a thunderous crescendo, getting louder and louder until it hit its peak when they appeared on the field. The first half was ugly, Miami only led 10-7 as both teams turned the ball over multiple times, the game had no flow. That changed in the 2nd half when Ben Roethlisberger faked to Cal Murray, then faked the end around to Ryne Robinson. Ben found Martin Nance at the 3 yard line on a play that sent Yager into a frenzy (the loudest I ever heard Yager). That led to a touchdown, and the rout was on. BG continued to turn the ball over, and "Har-ris, Har-ris!!!" reigned from the crowd. Miami won 33-10 and they were on their way to the MAC Championship. Ahh the memories.

Ok, now for why I haven't posted in awhile:
-While I continue to search for a job, I'm the assistant coach for Northmont's junior varsity basketball team. I'm coaching with the two gentlemen who coached me at the freshman and JV level, so it's a perfect match. Practice started last week, and we have the potential to be very good. I'm excited because we're going to full court press most likely. We're big, quick, and athletic. We have guys who love playing defense on the perimeter, which is a rarity. We're a little weak shooting and rebounding, but that's been getting better. I think the guys respect me. It brings a smile to my face when they do something and see success after I've told them they should do that. I try and contribute most on defense and rebounding since those were my strong suits. It's been a lot of fun, and I look forward to every day of practice. Coaching is definitely in my future.

It's interesting being back at Northmont. I've run into some old friends and teachers, which has been nice. It's weird coaching on the same floor that I played on. Not many get to do that, so I consider it a privilege.

-Speaking of the job search, I've had a handful of phone interviews in the last couple of weeks, which has been really encouraging. In addition, I've been invited up to Chicago to take the Bureau of Economic Analysis's placement test for a job. So I'll be in the city that begins with a C, ends with an O, and has a HICAG in the middle early part of next week. Of course, test means studying, and I'll begin that later today.

When buying my dad's birthday present yesterday, I found Season 1 of the Muppet Show on DVD. I also found the original Bad News Bears at a very cheap price. Things continue to get better!!!!

I think that's it. I played my last 18 holes of the season yesterday and carded a 77. Root on the Redhawks tonight!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

29-0 BG at the half... ouch!

November 15, 2005 at 8:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links