Wednesday, July 26, 2006

End of July?

I can't believe July is almost over, it feels like summer just began. I know technically it's only been summer for a little more than a month, but I've always associated the beginning of summer with Memorial Day, if not a little sooner. But it seems like fall is just around the corner with football just a month away and the Tour finishing up last weekend. The family and I are going to Canada in a week or so for family vacation (Toronto and Montreal), which I'm looking forward to.

So Brad and Michelle got married, and it was wonderful meeting all of high school friends, whom in fact may actually read this. Ladies and gentlemen, you are fabulous people and it was a pleasure meeting all of you, I had a great time. I wish the happy couple nothing but the best, I loved seeing them so happy.

A lot to catch up on:

  • Congratulations to Floyd Landis, continuing the American dominance of the Tour de France. Landis took 3rd in Saturday's time trial, giving him a 57 second overall advantage over Oscar Periero. Give credit to Periero for fighting his tail off in the time trial, something he isn't known for, he had to make Landis work for it. Let's hope his hip surgery is successful and he can come back and validate his title next year. This wasn't Lance-like in terms of winning the Tour, but his single-day performance to Morzine was as good as anyone's done in any sport on any given day.
  • Congratulations to Tiger Woods for winning his 3rd British Open (1st other than St. Andrews) and his 11th major overall. Tiger had to work for this one, shooting 67 in the final round to hold off a charging and determined Chris DiMarco, who was also playing for a loved one (his mom died a couple of weeks ago). While Ernie Els and Sergio Garcia went away as they usually do when trying to beat Tiger on Sunday, DiMarco started making putts from everywhere, including a bomb for par on 14 that kept him within a shot of the lead and seemingly put fate on his side. But as the great ones do, Tiger rose up, birdieing 14, 15, and 16 to give him the cushion he needed. As he walked up the 18th, you could see the emotion was coming, the question was how much. The answer was a lot, which was touching to see. Tiger isn't a robot, he's a man. He isn't obsessed with winning, he loves winning and competing.
  • Congratulations to Miami University, my alma mater if you forgot already haha. Miami signed a 1-for-1 with Colorado football. Miami will travel to Boulder next year; the Buffs will come to Oxford in 2009 with both games scheduled to be part of the ABC/ESPN package. Another great job by athletic director Brad Bates for getting another BCS opponent to travel to Oxford.
  • I like what I'm reading from Team USA basketball training camp. Coach K and the coaching staff have put their imprint on the team. It will be the uptempo offense of the Phoenix Suns (thanks to USA assistant Mike D'Antoni, the Suns coach) combined with in your face man defense of Duke. All of the guys will play substantial minutes, and it appears there really will be no I in this TEAM. I can't wait to see them in action, I have a good feeling about this.
  • I like the fact Andy Roddick has taken on Jimmy Connors as his coach. Connors has the intangibles that Roddick needs to get to #1. I never saw Connors in his prime, but I do remember watching his incredible US Open run in 1991. At the age of 39, Connors made it all the way to the semifinals on pure guts, which is what Roddick doesn't have currently. This is the smartest move Roddick's made in awhile, I hope he sticks with Connors and doesn't dump him like he did with Brad Gilbert.

I promised myself I'd get to bed early tonight, so that's it. I hope I satisfied your hunger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links