Sunday, May 13, 2007

Cleveland Rocks

This past weekend, I found myself in Northeast Ohio for a mini-college reunion, the setting being a wedding between two fellow Miami University graduates, or what we like to call a Miami Merger. For the life of me, I didn't remember the bride, despite the fact she was an RA in the residence hall next to mine which shared the same theme as my hall. But I was a member of the same service fraternity as the groom, a great, upstanding guy who does everything the right way (and he likes basketball). Yes, Alpha Phi Omega was out in full force this weekend in Cleveland and I quickly felt like I was transferred back in time to an APhiO formal.

Admittedly, I was very nervous about seeing old friends because it had been a long time and I drifted away from APhiO after a couple of years because of other commitments. At the beginning of my junior year at Miami, I was an RA for freshmen, I was vice-president of Hawkheads, the spirit group, getting ready to become President, and there was APhiO, plus school (oh yeah, school). Unfortunately, APhiO didn't make the cut in terms of getting my time and commitment. Did I plan it that way, no. And I'm sure people understood, but I still felt bad because joining APhiO opened a lot of doors for me and helped me become the person I am today. And the people that had a huge influence on me in APhiO would be at this wedding, the same people I guess I turned my back on at a certain point even though I didn't mean to.

I won't use their names, but I can describe them. I already mentioned the groom, but the other three people I'll mention were very good to me and I hope they know how appreciative I am for all they have given me. First, there is a young woman who is Ms. Who-Dey, the female ambassador of all Cincinnati Bengals fans out there. In fact, she even sang the Bengal fight song after the reception last night. She's always fun to hang out with; she and I did every stupid old person dance on the dance floor last night, which was tons of fun. She's kind and caring, and best of all, she's a teacher. What more can you ask for?

Second, there's my Miami basketball buddy who loves basketball as much as I do. In addition to her high basketball IQ, she is very knowledgable about the banking industry in which she works (I learned quite a bit from her last night). She also has this sweetness about her that makes you feel comfortable and allows you to feel good about yourself. I think that's very important.

Next is another teacher, but she has the pleasure of teaching gifted students. The first word that comes to mind when I think of this person is passionate. She does nothing halfway, it's all or nothing. She was an RA with the bride in the same hall when I was a freshman, but she and I quickly became good friends. She taught me to be passionate and to show it, especially when doing service. She always has a smile on her face and she's absolutely wonderful.

And last, but certainly not least, one of my best friends. I think what makes us great friends is that we appreciate each other's perspective on life. When we put our respective perspectives (try saying that 10 times fast) together, we complement each other well. Before this weekend, I knew we would be best friends forever; after this weekend, I now know our relationship is special and that we will definitely be best friends forever, nothing more, nothing less. And I am thankful for that.

It was a very good weekend. Here are some other tidbits at least I found interesting:

  • I had one of the best chocolate milkshakes of my life on the way there Friday night. Vermillion travel plaza, Ohio Turnpike, TCBY Yogurt, heaven I swear.
  • I-90 in Cleveland was one big speed trap. There would be 2 highway patrol cars every several miles, one manning the gun, the other ready to chase the offender down.
  • It's hard to not be distracted by Jacobs Field staring you in the face as you drive through downtown Cleveland. I'd really love to see a game there sometime.
  • The only thing I wasn't crazy about (of course) was the DJ. Everything else was perfect: the ceremony, the reception, the food. But he did partially save himself with blaring Livin On A Prayer at the very end.
  • Kudos to the people at Damon's Friday night for getting dinner out to my best friend (who suffered through a 9 1/2 hour car ride) quickly and for making a perfect prime rib for me, at 9:30pm of all times.
  • You know the Toledo-Sandusky portion of the Turnpike is dead flat when the Canadian soft rock station is coming through loud and clear from the other side of Lake Erie.

And now for the sports portion of the program:

  • Good to see Lefty win The Players by striking the ball beautifully. I wonder how Tiger feels when he sees Lefty and Butch Harmon hugging after Lefty wins "the fifth major".
  • Memo to Rory Sabbatini: Stop talking smack about Tiger. Last week, you wanted Tiger. Well you got him, and he beat you, with his B- game at best. This week, you said you think he's as beatable as ever. Well, despite his poor performance this week (tied for 37th), you still couldn't beat him, despite sharing the 1st round lead.
  • I'm kind of excited for the French Open tennis tournament. Can Federer beat Nadal and become arguably the greatest player of all time?
  • As far as the NBA playoffs go, I've really enjoyed the Golden State/Utah series. Very entertaining and good offense. But I'm getting the feeling we're heading for a Pistons/Spurs finals, which means another unwatchable finals.

That's all I got for now, talk to ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links