Sunday, January 16, 2005

How bout them Colts????

Before we get into the roundup of the day in sports, it's time for the Best and Worst Dressed of the Golden Globes:

Best Dressed:

  • Jennifer Garner, somehow she finds another dress that compliments her style and beauty every awards show. She deserves a "WOW"
  • Charlize Theron, even with a new hair color, she is still gorgeous. Plus, she wore an off the shoulder dress, and I love off the shoulder dresses, YES!!!!
  • Any one of the Desperate Housewives. I thought Teri Hatcher looked good with the short hair when she did the Superman tv show, but I love the long hair and the dress. And Eva Longoria, a knockout, uh huh.
  • Hillary Swank, wasn't a fan when you won a few years ago, with the short hair, but I like the longer hair and the golden dress, very nice.
  • Halle Berry, enough said.
Worst Dressed:
  • Natalie Portman, Natalie, Natalie, Natalie, my girl, well you were. First, the dress looked like something that was more appropriate for the musical "Annie". Second, it didn't even fit. Third, the necklace didn't even go for it. And finally, when you won, your acceptance speech was terrible. Very disappointed.
  • Diane Keaton. Will you please stop wearing those glasses and do you own anything besides sport jackets?????
  • Paula Abdul. Your dress was ok, but you should fire your hair stylist. It was all over the place, and now I know where your hair line is receding, ugh.
Alright, time for sports:
  • The football was good, but I think the basketball was better. I hope you took my advice and flipped over to Michigan St./Wisconsin after the Vikings turned the ball over for the 10th time, because it was one of the Top 10 games of the year I've seen. You look at the score and you see UW won 62-59, and it doesn't jump right at you, but this was good basketball. Good offense, good defense; there was nothing ugly about this game. The effort was incredible by both teams. The Spartans led by 8 with 2 minutes to go, but the Badgers came back and won their 38th straight at home. MSU, even though losing at the end, impressed me with their all out effort, especially on the glass, rebounding much better than they did last year, and their team play, they are a much more cohesive unit. They're going to be a tough team to beat. Wisconsin knows how to play, and they make it extra tough because they seem to play mistake-free ball at home. However, they shoot too many 3s. They're at their best when they go inside-out with the ball.
  • NC State got off the snide by beating Georgia Tech. I know BJ Elder is hurt, but c'mon Tech, you can play better than you did tonight without one of your key cogs.
  • Four unbeatens remain: Illinois (Iowa looms this week), Duke, Kansas, and Boston College (very good win in Morgantown over West Virginia today).
  • From last night: Gonzaga 86, Pepperdine 62. These two schools don't like each other, and for the Zags to put the hurt on tells you something. The West Coast Conference is deserving of 2 teams in right now, Gonzaga and St. Marys.
  • Congratulations to Derek Whittenburg and Fordham for holding on and beating Xavier in a great finish. Let's hope there are more great victories for you and your program.
Now for football:
  • The Eagles showed they have an offense without T.O., but it was against the Vikings, not exactly a defensive juggernaut. The Vikings had their chances, but costly turnovers and the fake field goal try showed why they were an 8-8 team instead of an 11-5 team. I still like the Falcons next week. I think they can put some pressure on McNabb and they'll be more physical than Minnesota was.
  • And the biggest letdown of the day belongs to the Colts offense. When I saw the weather conditions about an hour before the game, I knew the Colts had no chance. They just aren't as tough as the Patriots and can't match the will the Pats bring to the field. Ironically, 20 years ago in Super Bowl 19, Dan Marino, in his record breaking season took on overlooked past Super Bowl MVP Joe Montana. Marino came in with the gaudy stats, but it was Montana who won his second MVP as the 49ers dismantled the Dolphins. Now it is Tom Brady, overlooked 2-time Super Bowl MVP, playing the part of Joe Montana, and Peyton Manning, who is Dan Marino, especially since he's breaking all of his records. Manning may have the gaudy stats, but if I can pick any quarterback I want for one game, I'll take Tom Brady right now. Even with their dominating performance today, I still like the Steelers next week. They find ways to win, and I think they will do so next week. Hopefully the game lives up to the hype, and #7 can play big. He's going to have to.
Now for some other thoughts:
  • Add another inch and a half of snow to the totals here in SW Ohio. The forecast for this week is for it to feel like Green Bay basically. No fun, especially since that means I will fall down while walking to class at least once this week.
  • American Idol starts this week. The best shows are these first ones when the Simon, Randy, and Paula go to the cities for the first round of tryouts to sort out the good, bad, and ugly. Once the show goes to Hollywood for the finals, it's not as compelling, especially after hearing ballad after ballad after ballad. There are some songs I haven't listened to since I heard them on American Idol because they've been performed so horribly. So when I hear that particular song, unfortunately I get sick to my stomach because I think of the awful performance from the show.
  • It will be tough getting sleep for the next two weeks because the Australian Open has begun. On the women's side, I just hope the Williams sisters don't win. Concentrate on tennis now, your fashion career can wait. If you dedicate yourself to the game, then get back to me. My favorite, Maria Sharapova. She's Anna Kournikova with a competitve spirit, need I say more. On the men's side, let's face it, Roger Federer will win. But I am and will always be an Andre Agassi guy. When I was 6 and would hit tennis balls, I would try and take it out of the air so I could be like him. I love how he tries to outwork you, get the crowd involved, and pull off shots only he can. It will be a sad day when he is forced to retire.
  • Tomorrow night, 9pm ESPN, #6 Oklahoma State vs. #9 Texas. Can Texas match the toughness of Oklahoma State???
  • Pitchers and catchers report in a little more than 4 weeks. How sad is that??? Didn't the World Series just end???
Wow, we tackled a lot of topics tonight, unlike the Colts who couldn't tackle Corey Dillon even if their life depended on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links