Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I Can't Help Myself

Hmmm, last night haha. I joined my fellow Econ peeps and the lovely Katy Higbee for one last get-together uptown up at Brick Street. Monday night is karaoke night at Brick Street, and yours truly got persuaded to take the stage. Not drunk, but definitely buzzing, and hey, if I was terrible, I'll be gone in a week so it won't matter. Now I've done karaoke at graduation parties and tied for 1st at the Alpha Phi Omega 2001 Valentine's Day karaoke competition while singing doo wop with some of the old Symmes crew. But I've never gotten up on stage by myself, so this was all new to me.

I decided to go with one of my all-time favorite songs, "I Can't Help Myself" by the Four Tops since I knew I could pull it off. But, I can only imagine what the crowd thought when they saw me, white boy wearing glasses, going up to try and sing a Motown classic. When that music came on, I have to say, I was feeling it. The crowd sang and danced along with me, crowding the stage as I performed. I even sang on key, or at least when I listened I was on pitch, so that was going for me as well. When the song ended, I got the biggest standing ovation I may have ever experienced in my life. As I made my way back to my friends, EVERYONE, girls and guys told me how good I was, which shocked me.

So thanks to my friends that were there last night for persuading me to go on stage last night, you've left me with a night I'll never forget.

Then today was a reality check. I've pretty much packed up my computer room and will do more packing tomorrow.

Let's see, what else can we talk about:

  • Here's a perfect example why I have no respect for Bobby Bowden and Florida State football. His top two returning tacklers were both arrested in the offseason, one being tasered because he was behind a bush, and the other for domestic battery. Yet Bowden says if both are only convicted of misdemeanors, they will both not be suspended for games and will only have to do extra running or some other type of physical drill. They won't be suspended because the season opener is against Miami (FL). Now if it were against Duke, they probably would be suspended, but as you see, Bowden only cares about winning games, not integrity and discipline. Bowden may be the only coach that is a worse disciplinarian than Bob Huggins at UC.
  • It's a busy weekend in golf with Tiger & Co. playing at the Buick Open outside of Detroit, while the women are playing their British Open at Royal Birkdale. And the Seniors are in good ol' Dayton at NCR South playing the US Senior Open.
  • The Space Shuttle Discovery was finally launched, marking NASA's first venture into space since the Columbia disaster of 2003. While the countdown and launch went smoothly, cameras have detected that a piece of debris did come off the shuttle during its ascension. The debris did not appear to hit the shuttle when it came off, but nevertheless, it'll make for another interesting touchdown when the shuttle returns in 12 days.
  • I think I forgot to mention yesterday that John Kerry paid the Tour de France a visit Saturday, getting a ride in the race director's car that followed Lance Armstrong. While Kerry professes to be a big fan of Armstrong, the same cannot be said of Armstrong since he's a friend of President Bush. Notice that Kerry rode in the race director's car, not the Discovery team car where Robin Williams and SI's Rick Reilly have ridden. Two words for you John Kerry: "Go Home!!!!"
That's all for tonight, catch ya tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links