Monday, August 22, 2005

On The Clock

What a gorgeous day today. 80 degrees, sunshine with northerly winds that made it feel like fall. My nighttime run was fantastic with the stiff breeze and pleasant conditions, I washed the cars in the glorious sunshine of midday, just a good day (despite another day of no news).

I meant to post last night, but once again, my internet wasn't cooperating, so hopefully this makes it tonight. Friday was Graduation Day where I officially became a Master. It was a small, intimate ceremony in Millett Hall with the other Master's and Doctoral recipients. Everyone there had one thing in common, we all worked hard to get where we needed to be. I can honestly say this was, mentally for sure, the most challenging year of my life. In saying that, it was also the most gratifying. All of the hard work paid off, especially in spring and summer when I had to perform at a high level to earn my Master's degree. Even as I wait for that phone call/email that will decide my fate, I still can't wipe the smile off of my face.

Sunday I helped move my brother into Scott Hall where he begins his sophomore year in the room next to where I began my sophomore year. Just to remind you how old I now am, the only person I recognized was the hall manager, who had been my hall manager on two previous occasions. What a far cry from two years ago when I basically knew/recognized everybody. It's a different time, so those of you in Oxford, have a great school year.

Being Monday night, my favorite show, My Super Sweet 16 Birthday was on MTV. Tonight, three cute triplets turned 16 and threw a Las Vegas themed party. Honestly, tonight's show was boring. It didn't even compare to last week and its outrageousness. The three girls sought individual attention and that was about it. I guess it should be a good thing they weren't over the top like everyone else, but it doesn't make for exciting TV.

And now for the other news:

  • Tiger Woods won his 4th NEC Invitational at Firestone, surviving a long, hard and fast golf course, not to mention his putting stroke. Tiger continues to dominate at the same golf courses Jack Nicklaus dominated at during his career (Augusta, St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, and Firestone to name a few)
  • Roger Federer defeated Andy Roddick to win the Cincinnati Masters Tennis title. Roddick had a great week, showing an improved volley and overall mental approach to the game, which helped him beat Lleyton Hewitt, a nemesis of his. But until Roddick improves his return of serve, Federer will continue to beat him. The Cincinnati Masters is one of the biggest events in men's tennis. And why you might ask? 18 of the top 20 players competed in Cincinnati; only Wimbledon (I believe) had a stronger field.
  • In Da Bears' preseason game vs. the Colts, Chad Hutchinson went 5/8 for 40 yards and 2 INTs. Jerry Angelo: Start Kyle Orton!!!!!!!! Also, Ben Roethlisberger in his 2 preseason games is just 8/15 for 64 yards and 1 INT. Ben has looked uncomfortable in the pocket and may indeed have a sophomore slump.
  • In watching tonight's Cowboys/Seahawks preseason game, I've lost count as to how many balls the Seahawks receivers have dropped. At least 10. And as I write this, they just dropped another one.
  • The Preseason AP Poll is out and here are your Top 10: USC, Texas, Tennessee, Michigan, LSU, Ohio St., Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, the other Miami, and Florida. The real Miami is 36th. In their preseason scrimmage, Todd Boeckman, who would start for the Luckeyes if Justin Zwick's sprained ankle doesn't heal, went 9/18 for 46 yards with the 1st-team offense. I want to see Zwick because if Boeckman starts, that means a more conservative game plan and more Ted Ginn at quarterback, which I don't want to see. If Zwick starts, he'll have the full gameplan, which means he might force some balls which could lead to turnovers. Miami doesn't have a big defense, but they do have speed and will take chances. With coach Taver Johnson's return to lead the defense, it will be the Miami defense of 2003 you'll see, which was in the Top 25 nationally when it came to points and total yards allowed.
  • I think my golfing destination this week will be Beechwood up by Arcanum. Beechwood has 27 holes, the majority of them cutting through woods that make for a very enjoyable golfing experience.
  • Thursday begins high school football in Ohio with the marquee game in this area being my very own Northmont T-Bolts hosting Chaminade-Juliene. Last year, CJ won 39-36 with a TD pass on the last play of the game. This is usually a very entertaining game, so I will probably be in attendance.

Little League Commercial Views: 16 ( I watched Hawaii today and they can hit the ball.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links