Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Playmaker

My dad coached high school football so I started watching football at an early age. One of the players I can vividly remember watching was Michael Irvin, "The Playmaker". What first stood out to me about Irvin was the jersey number he wore at the University of Miami, 47. 47 isn't a typical number for a wide receiver, which helped Irvin stand out. While at "The U" and then with the Dallas Cowboys, Irvin was a key part of those winning teams and Irvin always made big plays.

But it was tough to appreciate Irvin's on-field performance after you read what he was doing off the field. Pleading no contest to cocaine possession, the Cowboys' "White House", and the '98 horseplay incident couldn't be ignored. After retiring, Irvin seemed to have turned things around and made it all the way to ESPN's pregame show where he didn't much insight honestly, but I loved watching his enthusiasm and passion for the game. But he got into trouble after being pulled over for speeding in 2005 where the police searched his car and found drug paraphernalia that Irvin said wasn't his. Finally, he was let go by ESPN a couple of months after a controversial comment on the Dan Patrick show.

Tonight, Irvin was inducted into the Hall of Fame, despite questions about his character. I usually watch the Pro Football Hall of Fame inductions because it's the unofficial beginning to football season and the speeches by the inductees are usually good. But I wondered what Irvin would say, knowing that his selection was in some ways controversial. He wouldn't be able to give the typical acceptance speech because of the trouble he had gotten into. In some way, there would probably be something wrong with his speech.

It won't go down as one of the greatest speeches ever, but it was one of the most heartfelt, genuine speeches I've seen. Yeah, he was cocky (what did you expect), some of it didn't make any sense and he rambled quite a bit, but when it counted, he was a man. What sold it for me was when Irvin acknowledged that the people his kids should look up to were the members of last year's class, which included Troy Aikman, Reggie White, Warren Moon, and John Madden. Irvin acknowledged the negatives around him, and did it in a very humble way. He spoke like a man grateful to be there who is still haunted by many demons in his head.

Although I will say Jerry Jones was a bit over the top with his introduction. But then again, it was Jerry Jones, what did you expect?

And it's good to hear Tom Jackson's voice. Tom Jackson's voice means football is very close.

I apologize for not having written in a month, I was on the road for 4 of the 5 weekends in July, so this weekend is my first Detroit home game in awhile. Time for some quick-hitters:

  • I don't know if there's anything more annoying than having a cold in the summer, especially when it's been as hot as it's been. It's 95 degrees outside and I'm eating chicken noodle soup and drinking hot chocolate. On the days when I've felt well enough to workout, I can't take a cold shower to cool off, I have to take a hot shower to keep the nasty stuff inside loose.
  • One of my weekend trips took me to Chicago, and it was spectacular. Late nights, great friends, awesome backdrop, and beautiful women. What more can you ask for?
  • Alberto Contador won the Tour de France, surviving the final time trial on what was one of the most exciting days in the Tour I can remember. The top 3 finished within 31 seconds of one another thanks to the best day in Levi Leipheimer's life and Cadel Evans's guts. Too bad it'll be overshadowed by the numerous positive drug tests that marred this year's tour. But I think cycling is on the right track because they have a testing system that is now actually effective and catching people. The Tour will rebound, just like it did on that final Saturday.
  • One more thing about the Tour. If you're Cadel Evans and you're just 23 seconds behind, don't you have to attack at least once on the last day?!?!?! Yes, tradition says you don't, but c'mon!!!! 23 seconds?!?!!? You just have to win the stage by 4 seconds, get the 20 second bonus, and you win the race. At the very least he should've tried to attack. It probably wouldn't have worked because Discovery was attentive and breakaways rarely work on the Champs-Elysses, but he at least should've tried.
  • I wish I could've seen the last few holes of the British Open live. I left Chicago for Detroit with Padraig Harrington seemingly in control until later I found out the outcome. How do you win the Open after playing the 18th 6-5? When Sergio Garcia is the guy closest to you. Sergio is still probably whining about his bad luck as I write this.
  • Tadd Fujikawa, 16, turned professional and played in the PGA Tour's Reno-Tahoe Open, and missed the cut by 5 shots. Fujikawa, a Hawaii native, was having trouble covering playing and coaching costs that resulted in many trips to and from the mainland, so naturally he turned professional. Despite tying for 20th at the PGA Tour Hawaiian Open earlier this year, Fujikawa was ranked as the 687th amateur in the world. 687th!!!!! I wish him all the best, but c'mon.
  • Barry Bonds just hit his 755th home run.
  • Preseason college football polls's primary purpose is to get fans excited, but Florida 3rd? I haven't read through my magazine yet, but I know the Gators only have 2 starters back on defense. I know the SEC is strong, but 3rd for Florida? Not sure about that.

My prayers and thoughts go out to those affected by the Minneapolis bridge collapse. I just can't imagine driving home from work, zoned out, then falling 60 feet, trying to survive. Those poor people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links