Thursday, May 19, 2005

Let the Wedding March begin

This weekend is the first of 3 weddings I will attend this summer. One of my good friends from home who I grew up with is tying the knot back home, so I will be home this weekend. It's hard to believe I'm attending the wedding of a guy who I rode bikes and played sports with when I was in preschool and elementary school. It should be a good time, I'm looking forward to it. I haven't been to a wedding in awhile and I've always enjoyed them, so it should be a fun Saturday.

Since I'll be home this weekend (and next since it's Memorial Day weekend), if you're around Englewoooood, let me know and we can get together and catch up.

Ok, here's what's been going on the last couple of days:

  • I went and saw the new Star Wars today and it is by far the best of the newer editions. I won't give too much away, but it was worth sitting through the prior, dialogue-dominated 2 episodes to get to the climax, which the 3rd provides. The last 90 minutes are really well-done; they measure up to the standard of the original trilogy. I can't remember the last time I felt so tense in a movie theater; the emotion of the film engulfs you that much. Plus, Natalie Portman is gorgeous in this movie, despite playing a pregnant Padme. There are only two negative things I have to say about the movie. First, Hayden Christensen looked sinister, but his dialogue sure didn't match it. Either he got bad lines, or he needs to go through puberty so his voice can lower and somewhat resemble a villain's voice. Second, I was ready for the Dark Side anthem to blare out at the end, after all, they won the fight. Instead, the hopeful anthem of the next episode played since Luke and Leia survived. Oh well, I guess I was asking for too much. I'll probably go see it again tomorrow, I liked it that much. I never thought I'd be so excited to see the unveiling of Darth Vader
  • The Pistons eliminated the Pacers tonight in Reggie Miller's farewell, which is good and bad news. The good news is that series is finally over and that no one has to witness the worst brand of basketball no longer. The bad news is that the Pistons advanced and are still alive. I've never been a Pistons fan, going back to when I was a Celtics fan in the 80s and the Bad Boys knocked Larry and the boys off their throne as Eastern Conference champs. I believe their "team-oriented" style of ball is the most overrated style of ball there has ever been. It's not that they're so good, it's that they make their opponents play so much worse. And their opponents' bad play is more of a result of their incompetence and not the Pistons' skill. Even the Lakers team the Pistons defeated last year wasn't that good. That Lakers team had no one capable of scoring besides Kobe and Shaq. Gary Payton was ineffective, Karl Malone was hurt, and everyone else couldn't create their own offense to save their life. It's fair to say I'm rooting for a Heat-Suns Finals, because that's how basketball should be played.
  • Speaking of the Suns, they now lead Dallas 3-2 in one of the more exciting playoff series in recent years. I love how Phoenix plays, fast on offense and aggressive on defense. Yes, they give up a lot of points, but they do play defense, they just take more chances than the average team. Amare Stoudamire embodies the new NBA-center prototype for the coming years. Last night, I couldn't help but be in awe of his raw athleticism and his ability to finish off the pick'n'roll. His back to the basket skills aren't there yet, but the way he can adjust his body in midair and finish around the basket like a small forward make him unstoppable around the basket.
  • I don't feel sorry for Barry Bonds one bit. Bonds has reportedly been on an IV, being immobilized due to an infection in his knee. I firmly believe this is a result of his usage of steroids. His body is suffering the same fate as Lyle Alzado, Mike Webster, and Jason Giambi, although it appears Giambi is recovering. Steroids benefit the body in the short-run, but seem to have negative long-run effects. I hope Bonds never plays in another game, allowing Hank Aaron's home run record to stand.
  • In tonight's Apprentice finale, despite Tana's last ditch attempt to come back, Kendra was hired by Donald Trump, due to her performance in the last two tasks. The finale was very disappointing, as there were commercial breaks every 5 minutes, there was no flow to the show whatsoever. This is the second straight time the finale has been disappointing. Last season, it was too long, lasting for 3 hours. Tonight, it was short and lacked substance. C'mon Donald, get it right next time. At least he hired the right person for the job. And yes, Omarosa got a camera shot (I can't stand her).
  • Miami men's basketball has been invited to next year's Preseason NIT. 16 teams make up the Preseason NIT, headlined by Duke. Miami opens November 15th at Alabama.
  • Kellen Winslow Jr., everyone's favorite soldia, is out for the season after tearing his ACL after crashing his motorcycle. The Browns are this decade's version of the Bengals in terms of Draft incompetence. Where are you Tim Couch, William Green, and Courtney Brown?
  • Giacomo tries to keep its improbable run going this weekend at the Preakness. Oh, that's right, nobody cares because it's horse racing. My bad.
I think I've covered everything, have a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links