Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Beginning of the End

So, this is it. This is the start of potentially the last 3 months of my academic career and my time here in Oxford. It was definitely weird coming back on the night of graduation weekend when usually I'm back in Englewood for the summer. If all goes well, 3 months from now I'll be moving into a new situation, starting my new job. When I got back, I was in the mood for a run, so I decided to run on campus, now deserted. I instantly felt like I had gone back in time to last summer when I was down for Junior Scholars. I was instantly reminded of the different emotions that were flowing through my body last year, which is deep in contrast from this year. There's only one thing on my mind and that's finishing, doing whatever necessary to reach those last couple of goals I have (for this stage in my life). On the way down, I was in a very reflective mood. There's nothing better that clears the mind than driving on empty country roads on warm spring/summer nights. This year, I regained the inner strength I believe that helps define me. Over the last couple of years, I felt I had lost that, but I have it back now. And, I really grew up and matured as a person. I still have lots to learn, but I learned a lot, about life and myself, and I'm grateful for that.

Alright, what else can we talk about:

  • 2 more pounds were lost in the last 2 weeks, bringing me down to 208. This month, I can't afford to eat a whole lot, so if I can be under 205 by the end of May, I'll still be on track. Getting down to 200 will be tough, but everything is in my favor now. The weather is warm, I'm gradually losing my appetite, and I love working out in the summer.
  • My brother has the pleasure of getting his wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow. I got to experience this last October, and it was interesting to say the least. It was fun being sedated. Right before I went under, I guess I yelled at my dad, "Love ya dad, wait, come back, I love you!!!" This was on a Friday and I had a huge midterm on Monday (talk about bad timing). But I got myself to study Friday night for a little bit and the rest of the weekend, and pulled out an A- on the test. Now, I have to say, that's coming up big in the clutch.
  • The most exciting 2 minutes (at least that's what some say) were this past weekend with the 131st running of the Kentucky Derby. This is the one day where horse racing becomes relevant in the sports world. Horse Racing and heavyweight boxing are similar in the fact that they used to be grandioso events and now, no one cares. This was a thrilling race, with 50-1 underdog Giacomo winning, upsetting the favorite and George Steinbrenner-owned Bellamy Road. But, are you really going to remember a week from now who won the Kentucky Derby. Yes, there's still the Preakness and Belmont, but do you really remember who won those races the last 5 years? I bet more people can name who won Golf's majors than the horses who have won the Triple Crown races in the last 5 years. That's why horse racing is now irrelevant. Also, I was very upset to see the famous twin spires of Churchill Downs downsized so new luxury boxes could be added in.
  • The next big day of the summer for me is probably May 19th when the new Star Wars movie comes out. Return of the Jedi was on today, which is basically the opposite of what will probably take place in Revenge of the Sith. I think I figured out why the most recent Star Wars movies have not been as good as the originals: The absence of Harrison Ford as Han Solo.
  • I can't bear to watch anymore previews of the Sandlot 2 and/or the new Bad News Bears. These new movies are discrediting the originals. I will not go see either.
  • In The Contender, the last 2nd round match turned into a shocker. Party animal and Mr. Good Time Jesse Brinkley took on the #1 Dad Anthony Bonsante. Jesse hadn't fought since the 2nd week and it appeared the good times he had would come back to haunt him, as he had to lose 8 pounds in 2 days to make weight. This left Jesse weak, despite his efforts to rehydrate the day of the fight, and Anthony took advantage of, leading the fight going into the last round, he was in control. But in the 5th, Jesse landed a big right hand out of nowhere, sending Anthony to the floor. Anthony got up, but he was stunned, and Jesse knocked him out. You had to feel bad for Anthony, who got KOed in front of his mom and 2 kids, whom he was trying to make a better life for.
The Ultimate NCAA Tournament and the results of my 2 teams will be in tomorrow night's post.

Happy Mothers' Day!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links