Sunday, May 15, 2005

Flashback

Today, I was again reminded that I have grown up and am now a 20-something and no longer a "young adult". At church was the local First Communion celebration and I love being around these events, even if I don't have a family member directly involved in the event. I love it because it allows you to think back to when you were that age, when life was simpler and the biggest decision you had to make was whether or not you wanted ice cream with your chocolate cake. It's been 16 years since I made my First Communion, 16!!!! It also reminded me how grown up and how lucky I am to be where I am today, and thankful for the journey (the good and bad) I've taken to get to this point.

I had nothing to talk about yesterday because there was nothing, it that was dull. But today was a different story:

  • Another reason why I'm not crazy about the NBA is the constant whining and complaining about the officiating. Yes, I think the NBA officials are terrible, but at some point, you just have to play the game, which fans, and specifically, the Pistons and Pacers have trouble doing. Today, I don't think there was one trip up and down the floor without one of the teams complaining about a call. And by complaining, I mean stopping to go after the referee and yell in his face, not just showing frustration. Every instance of contact, every contested shot, every rebound in traffic, someone was yelling for a foul. JUST PLAY THE GAME!!!!!! You both play physical basketball, there will be some contact!!!! Of course, the fans don't help either. Professional basketball fans may be the worst fans out there. They go crazy over nothing, they cheer a basket after the play was blown dead 10 seconds earlier; their basketball IQ is negative. But, because they wear their throwback jerseys and wave their terrible towels, the people feel they are true fans. Four words for these fans: SIT DOWN, SHUT UP!!!
  • This brings me to a new pet peeve of mine. I've always been against this, but it is now an offical pet peeve. I can't stand people wearing wrist/sweatbands as part of their casual clothing. I've seen it here at school as well. I mean, is taking notes that physically taxing you need a sweatband?!?!?! I know it's a "style" thing, but it really isn't. When you wear sweatbands out, just to let you know, you look like a cross between Luke Wilson's character in "The Royal Tennenbaums" and Nick Lachey, and I don't know about you, but those are two people I definitely don't want to resemble.
  • Survivor ended with Tom winning, easily defeating Katie. Tonight's wrap-up show was the official end of the contestants' 15 minutes of fame. One of the biggest crocks of reality TV are the jury's questions to the 2 finalists at the end of each Survivor. The majority of the jury, the last 7 voted off before the competition is narrowed to 2, still can't get over the fact they were outplayed, outwitted, outeverythinged by the remaining 2 people. It turns into their last chance to get air time as they overdramatize what happened to them in the game.
  • Meanwhile, in the Contender (true reality), Manfredo-Gomez II lived up to the hype. After letting Alfonso get the better of him in the 1st fight, Peter Manfredo Jr. won this 7 round classic, advancing to the finals a week from Tuesday. Gomez led 3 rounds to 2, but Manfredo came up huge in the last 2 rounds, landing blow after blow to Gomez's head. Peter now will face the winner of the 2nd semifinal, Sergio Mora vs. Jesse Brinkley. If you haven't watched the show yet, I suggest you do. I think you'll see why I hold it in such high regards.
  • Congratulations to the Miami University Softball team, who defeated the Thundering Terd of Marshall to win the MAC championship, clinching an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. They've been sent to Knoxville, where Tennessee, College of Charleston, and Georgia Tech await. The first round is double-elimination, with the winners of each pod advancing to the Super Regionals, which make up the Sweet 16.
Tomorrow, it's back to work on the paper for me. Also, the Rec Center here reopens for the summer so this is what I'm thinking. Run, ball, run, ball, etc. I get to be a gymrat one more summer, yesssss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links