Monday, August 01, 2005

Is Jose Canseco Right?

Today's big story was the positive drug test of Rafael Palmeiro, who just 5 months ago vehemently denied using steroids ever in front of Congress. When asked to explain his positive drug test, Palmeiro said, "As I look back, I don't have a specific answer to give. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to explain to the arbitrator how the banned substance entered my body."

Let me help you out Raffy. You put it in there!!!! Please explain to me how you unknowingly take a banned substance??? Yes, there have been occasions where doctors have not labeled containers with steroids given to athletes, but if you're so worried about your reputation Rafael Palmeiro, then ask what's in the container before you start taking what's inside it!!!! Seems pretty simple to me. I'm sorry, but the whole unknowingly taking banned substances argument doesn't fly with me. That includes you Barry Bonds (geez, I wonder why you're hurt all the time), Mark McGwire (hmm, you were hurt all the time too, but you don't want to talk about it because it's part of the past), and Sammy Sosa (the biggest coward of them all because he brought an interpreter when we all know very well he can speak and understand English).

Under the current baseball steroid policy, Rafael Palmeiro is suspended for 10 days. Compare that to Tyler Hamilton, 2004 Olympic gold medalist in cycling, who is currently serving a 2 year suspension for a positive drug test. How about Ben Johnson, who won the 100meter dash in the 1988 Summer Olympics, who was banned for life for a positive drug test? The drug policy in professional sports in this country is a joke. We should hold the same standard as the International Cycling Union and the International Olympic Committee, where the minimum suspension for a positive drug test is what Tyler Hamilton got. The only reason why Tyler Hamilton was only suspended for 2 years and not life, like former world time trial champion David Millar, is because his suspension is currently under review due to possible tampering.

And let it be known, as I've said before, if Lance Armstrong is ever found to have used performance-enhancing drugs, all of the stuff I own of his will be in the trash in less than a minute. I have no tolerance for that. I don't care how many championships, home runs, or hits you've had, if you gain an unfair advantage, that's cheating, plain and simple.

I'm going to try and calm down now:

  • On a much lighter note, the premiere of the new season of My Super Sweet 16 will be commercial free. The featured girl has a double popped collar at one point during the show. I don't think I've expressed my opinion about the popped collar yet here (if I have I apologize). I'm one of those who, when seeing popped collars on the mannequins in stores, I unpop them. It drives me nuts!!!!! It looks terrible!!! If you want to pop your collar, here's some advice: buy turtlenecks. They look better, and the "popped collar" if you will goes all the way around the neck. If I ever catch you with your collar popped, you get a stare, a point, and a laugh. Even Marshall or Ohio University fans don't get that treatment.
Still nothing to report on the job front, I'm patiently waiting. Tomorrow will most likely consist of my last round of golf at Hueston Woods, followed by my last workout on campus. It was pretty dull around here today, but that's what happens when you're all done.

Time to watch Lance all night long.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

I agree with the juice issue. It really bothers me that its so common, and I actually laughed out loud when I saw the headline on CNN while I was at lunch. What a joke. His face is going to be permanently red. The one guy who really came out and vehemently denied using it, and he's busted. Seems to me if you had been that vocal, you better be doing EVERYTHING in your power to keep from getting caught with your pants down.

August 1, 2005 at 8:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links