Wednesday, August 31, 2005

What Can You Say???

It's downright depressing seeing the thousands of people stranded on Interstate 10 in what was Downtown New Orleans, suffering in the 95 degree heat that is only amplified by the asphalt. In Mississippi, they're no longer looking for survivors. Now, they're just trying to find bodies among the wreckage. In New Orleans, the water may still be rising. It's tough looking at the water that now contains human waste and remains of dead bodies. The people that were in the Superdome are now headed to the Astrodome where they will receive food, water, and be able to clean themselves. But many are still trapped, having to resort to writing SOS messages on their roofs in order to attract helicopters' attention. It just doesn't seem fair that I'm going to a football game and to spend time with friends while the people of Louisiana and Mississippi are just looking for somewhere to go. Please donate to the American Red Cross or another recognized charity, every little bit helps.

One question I would like to ask: Where is the foreign aid from other countries??? Everytime another country goes through something like this, we are the first to willingly come to their aid (i.e. $350 million for the tsunami). I haven't heard of a single country yet (Germany is thinking about it last I heard) that has planned to donate to the relief effort. That is just plain ridiculous.

Also, there are many people complaining about the "vacation" President Bush took. I don't think the word "vacation" and the Presidency go together. The President is still getting updates and signed the energy bill for example while at his Crawford ranch. Vacation, in my book, means doing nothing job-related.

Finally, I don't want to hear anymore of this global warming crap. I promise you, this will be addressed another day (maybe tomorrow if you're lucky).

Tonight, with regard to the Miami/OSU game, the focus is on special teams. As the saying goes, "You must be sound in the kicking game." Whoever executes better in this facet of the game will win.

Both teams will break in redshirt freshmen punters. Both will be kicking to two of the best punt returners in the country, Ted Ginn Jr. and Ryne Robinson. Whichever punter has the higher net average, their team will win. Expect a lot of punts to be kicked out-of-bounds.

The biggest loss OSU may have sustained from last year was placekicker Mike Nugent. He became a threat whenever the OSU offense crossed the 40-yard line and consistently put kickoffs in the end zone. Now the onus falls on Josh Huston, who lost the placekicking job to Nugent when they were both freshmen. Can Huston be as automatic as Nugent was and give the Bucks a scoring threat. On kickoffs, Huston will most likely be kicking to Darrell Hunter and Brandon Murphy. Neither have ever returned a kickoff for a TD, but both are capable of breaking one.

Doing the placekicking for Miami will be Todd Soderquist, who shared the job with Jared Parseghian the last couple of years. Soderquist has a strong leg and has gotten stronger, nailing a 52-yarder in the Spring game. He'll have to be strong on kickoffs, especially with Ginn and Santonio Holmes waiting.

Tomorrow you'll get my prediction. By the way, what happened to my Buckeye commentators??? I guess I'm paying their team just service. I will say, my knowledge of football probably ranks up there or a little behind my tennis and golf. I've picked up a lot from my dad, who used to coach high school ball. But, it will never come close to my basketball knowledge (although you'd never know from my NCAA Tourney predictions).

My Grandpa did get good news from the doctor, so things are looking good with him.

That's all I've got, talk to you tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

as you know, I'm right with you on the global warming bit.

September 1, 2005 at 12:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links