Sunday, September 18, 2005

How bout Da Bears?!?!?!

I know it was against Detroit, but still, 38 points?!?!?! It was the most lopsided win for Da Bears since 1986. Five interceptions, a 100 yard rushing day for Thomas Jones, and a touchdown pass from Kyle Orton, who didn't turn the ball over, led to the victory. Special teams even got into the act with a Bobby Wade punt return that went for a touchdown. Admittedly, the NFC North will be the 2nd worst division in football (NFC West will be the worst), but hey, Da Bears are in 1st. The Bengals come to Soldier Field next week.

It was also a good day for Wilson Hall's very own Ben Roethlisberger. 14/22, 254 yards and 2 TDs, with a bruised bone in his right knee. After two games, he has more TD passes than Peyton Manning, who would've thought? We'll really see how Ben is doing next week vs. New England.

And congratulations to Jason Gore for winning the 84 Lumber Classic. Just 3 months ago, he and his family had everything stolen from their car, which had no air conditioning. Now, he just earned $792,000 for his victory. Commenting about his summer, Gore said, "It's amazing where a little perseverance and grit and maybe a little ignorance can take you."

I like that quote. Gore is why nothing beats the human drama of sports. Someone comes out of nowhere, gets an opportunity and takes full advantage of it.

Well, another week brings another week of wishing and hoping and thinking and praying. Kind of like the Ani DiFranco song, but hoping for the job, not a woman (not yet, taking one thing at a time, although I wouldn't be upset if it happened out of order). What's most difficult about this whole process is not being able to control your own destiny. You can put out a good resume, interview well, and still come up short. In these situations, I prefer having it all on my shoulders, and I've been able to produce.

Whether it be the game-winning shot, winning the big tennis match, getting the grades on finals that I needed to get a good GPA, when it's all on the line, I like my chances. That's when I'm at my best. A lot is on the line here, but it's out of my hands. I'd feel better if it was.

Tomorrow might be a good day to run the trails, it's been awhile since I've had an exhilarating run like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links