Thursday, September 01, 2005

Dancing in September

Earth, Wind, and Fire couldn't have said it better, especially since September 1st was the beginning of college football. There weren't any blockbuster games, but it's hard to beat the pageantry of college football. The big attraction of the night was Steve Spurrier's return as head coach of South Carolina. The Gamecocks got off to a typical Spurrier-led team start, fast. Before I was settled in it was 14-0. But after the quick start, Central Florida played Carolina even, and if they were able to capitalize in the red zone, they had a chance to steal this one. It goes down as a 24-15 victory for the Gamecocks, and for one night, South Carolina fans can dream of a national championship under the Old Ball Coach. That dream will come to a crashing end next week when they play Georgia.

While football was a nice distraction for a couple of hours, it's hard not to think about the suffering going on in Louisiana and Mississippi. Supplies are having a hard time making it into New Orleans specifically, where some people haven't eaten or drank since Sunday. Lawlessness rules, as the refugees demand help immediately. Help is coming, in a big way, but since these people have no radio/TV, they have no way of knowing. Now they have turned to violence, which is only making the relief effort worse. How are you supposed to be rescued if you're shooting at the rescue helicopter??? A hospital couldn't continue its evacuation because of someone shooting at the helicopter. The pictures on television look more like Somalia, where the refugees look more like a rebel army.

There was another news story about the slow federal response. Part of the holdup is that Congress is gone on vacation and can't approve the $10 billion relief bill that the President has created. If you want to complain about people going on vacation, complain about Congress, both parties. While the President continues to work on vacation, all these people do are campaign and raise money. Every 3 months it seems like I hear, "Congress is taking their holiday recess," or something to that effect. If you want to gripe at someone, gripe at Congress. They should've been back Monday/Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the seeds continue to roll at the US Open. Andre Agassi is through to the 3rd round, defeating 6'10" giant Ivo Karlovic in straight sets. And Gilles Muller, who beat Andy Roddick, was sent home by Robby Ginepri rather easily, 6-1, 6-1, 6-4. Where's your mojo Andy? You certainly need some injected into your weak backhand.

Well, I head to Columbus tomorrow afternoon, where I will meet up with friends for the night. Then, it's gametime Saturday. I think we matchup well with the Bucks, our starters vs. their starters is pretty close. But, what usually is the difference is the depth of talent the bigger schools have. I've seen it first-hand. Miami, or another "mid-major" will play tough for 3 quarters, but run out of gas in the 4th. Unfortunately, that's what I see Saturday.

I think Josh Betts will play well, and the defense will contain Ted Ginn. But our undermanned defensive line will tire late in the game, allowing the Bucks to control the clock with their running game.

My Heart says: Miami 24, Ohio St. 16.

My Head says: Ohio St. 21, Miami 17.

I don't think this will be a blowout (give me one team Jim Tressel has blown out?) A blowout for Ohio St. is winning by 17-20 points. Miami is too good to get blown out, unless they turn the ball over like they did at Michigan last year. I don't think that will happen because of the experience the offense has, especially Betts and the offensive line.

I will cheer my heart out for my Redhawks and hope they can prove me wrong. I will be with my brother in the South end zone up high, which unfortunately are the best of seats. But I haven't been to the Shoe in 10 years, so I'm looking forward to the atmosphere, Skull Session, and hopefully 100,000 or so quiet Buckeye fans, until halftime when they're behind and they boo their own team off the field haha. One can only hope.

If you will be in town/at the game and would like to meet up, please let me know. Your best bet will probably be Skull Session at St. John Arena, which starts at 10am.

Love and Honor to Miami, our college old and grand.
Proudly we shall ever hail thee, over all the land, fight, fight, fight!!!!
Alma mater now we praise thee, sing joyfully this lay.
Love and Honor to Miami, forever and a day!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

I'll be there in spirit Marty, and plenty of it. England plays Wales in a huge international World Cup qualifier in the early afternoon, then I can settle in for the Hawks on an internet stream in the evening. Hope ya hear me buddy...

September 2, 2005 at 8:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not to pour salt into the wound, but I think that qualified as a blowout, it could have very easily been a shutout as well... the buckeyes dominated on both sides of the ball, as should be expected from the #6 team in the nation.

September 4, 2005 at 12:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links