Sunday, April 16, 2006

Drumline

Very good movie. I've only gotten to see a couple of the Southern schools' bands in person, but they are dynamite with a capital D. They are what marching bands should be all about, at all levels, which is entertainment. I'm not a fan of competition pieces, pieces that should be played in a concert hall, not in a football stadium, and pieces that involve wheeling out huge pieces of scenery as part of their show. I want to see dancing and energy on the field and in the stands and I want to hear music I recognize.

One road trip down, two to go. Home for Easter is always a good thing. Of course on the way back: Dayton, 73 degrees and little wind; Bowling Green 51 degrees and a lot of wind. Some things never change. Things that do change are your life at home. While shopping with my mom around town, I felt like a ghost, looking back in on what was going on at home. I guess I have to get used to this, these in and out weekends are going to be the norm from now on.

I think my favorite mass (of the weekend and of the whole year) is Holy Thursday. It is very different from the rest and it sets the tone for the weekend. I seem to get the most out of mass when I'm tired, I seem to focus better on the message being delivered and my mind comes away very clear. I always got that feeling when I went to church at Miami. Walking up High St. to St. Mary's was the end of the week, walking back after a delicious Bell Tower brunch was the beginning.

I finally made it through the backs, receivers, and tight ends sections of the draft preview. Da Bears could go after a tight end with their first choice. My preference would be Mercedes Lewis from UCLA. Big play guy with height and the ability to put on more weight comfortably. He's a better blocker and more durable than USC's Dominique Byrd. Plus, with the exception of Reggie Bush, how good will these USC skill players be by themselves?

And finally, everyone in Ohio needs to quit crying about the new Ohio St. uniforms. There are more important things in life. The last time I checked, uniforms didn't win games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links