Sunday, August 26, 2007

Live From the Windy City

I'm in Chicago on business until Tuesday, staying at the Club Quarters in the Loop. I shouldn't complain, but I've stayed in nicer places. I haven't found the Bible yet, but there is a dictionary, encyclopedia, and The Jordan Rules by Sam Smith (which I read when I was like in 5th grade). One cool thing though is they have water stations with bottles so you can have your own bottled water. I ate dinner at a pub down the street, very good cheeseburger. I talked with a Red Sox fan who was in town to watch them play the White Sox. Interesting guy. And, the new Batman movie (I didn't know there was going to be another one) was being shot just around the corner in front of the Board of Trade. I didn't seen anyone or anything happen for that matter, but I thought that was cool. I love this city, and not just because they are home of Da Bears. The only bad thing I'd have to say is the construction on the Dan Ryan. That, combined with the White Sox traffic made it take 45 minutes to go the last 6 miles. There's always something.

The really big news since I spoke with you last is that I have bought a new car! A 2007 red Pontiac Solstice, the car I've wanted since I first saw it a couple of years ago. I had to do a dealer transfer, and unfortunately, it didn't arrive in time for me to drive here (Lakeshore Drive in my new convertible would've been sweet), but I will be able to drive it to Ohio for Labor Day.

I'm watching USA basketball play Brazil in the Tournament of Americas, the qualifying tournament for the Olympics on this side of the world. The US is up 19 at the half, 57-38, thanks to a strong 2nd quarter. The new faces on this US team from last year's 3rd place World Championships team include Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Michael Redd, Mike Miller, Deron Williams, and most notably Kobe Bryant. As expected, the US has rolled through the tournament so far, with Brazil being the toughest team they've faced up to this point (Argentina is the only other team that could potentially keep the game close). I've watched this game and the game vs. Canada and here are my impressions:

  • This look more and more like a Coach K led team. Offensively, get the ball up the floor and score in transition with either the layup or the outside shot now that there are some guys on the team who can consistently make shots. If transition isn't there, the offensive sets are quick hitters designed to get shots early in the shot clock before the defense can get set. Defensively, very aggressive man-to-man defense, overplaying the passing lanes.
  • Carmelo Anthony is a more skilled basketball player in terms of basketball ability. When it comes to athleticism, Dwayne Wade and LeBron James are the best at exploiting their athletic ability and turning it into good basketball. But when it comes down to just basketball, give me Carmelo. He can shoot from the outside, score on the drive and take you down low.
  • I'm still not sure how LeBron's game fits in with the international game. He's not a good shooter or a great help defender. But he can make plays, finish in transition, and can play multiple positions. He's making shots tonight and playing really well. In fact, his jumper looks as good as I've ever seen it.
  • Chauncey Billups looks a lot better tonight than he did yesterday. But I think I'd take Chris Paul over Chauncey. Paul is quicker and more of a true point guard who gets the ball up the floor much quicker than Billups does.
  • If Kevin Durant has a really good rookie year and is able to keep some weight on, he'll make the Olympic team. Greg Oden, maybe. But how can you not like Durant, especially after he put up 22 in the July scrimmage.
  • The team's biggest weakness is still half-court defense. The US plays with great intensity and is doing the right thing by playing airtight man defense. But that kind of defense leaves you susceptible to back door cuts and dribble penetration if you don't have good help defense. And it's not like the US isn't playing help defense, some guys just don't know how to. In the NBA, you can't play help defense basically, thanks to the defensive 3 second rule (one of the dumbest rules in all of sports). And a lot of the NBA guys, especially the ones who didn't go to college, didn't practice or never learned how to play help defense.
  • The guys are playing with great intensity and are buying into Coach K's plan, which is nice to see. That means these multi-millionaires are coachable, which is refreshing.
  • One other note, are John Saunders and Bill Walton announcing the games or do they think since the games aren't very competitive that they can talk about whatever they want. Yesterday, Walton felt he had to give the viewers a lesson in Canadian history. Tonight, they're talking about everything, but the game it seems like.
  • Also, international basketball referees may be the worst officials in all of sports. Even worse than MAC basketball officials.

And some other tidbits:

  • Have you seen Ben Roethlisberger's new girlfriend? I didn't think he could do better than Natalie Gulbis but he has. Missy Peregrym, who was on Heroes last year, is her name.
  • I'm more interested in what Maria Sharapova's going to wear at the US Open than the PGA Tour FedEx Cup. I mean, Tiger Woods didn't play and he's still in 4th place in the standings.
  • The Reds are only 6.5 games behind the Cubs in the NL Central. Yes, those Reds?!?!?!
  • I haven't watched one of David Beckham's MLS games. I guess I never got that memo.

I think I'll use tomorrow night to talk a little college football if I have time. Things open up Thursday night with Miami traveling to Ball St.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links