Tuesday, August 02, 2005

It's So Hard to Say Goodbye

A Boyz II Men #1 hit song and my feelings toward Miami University. I took my last run as a student around campus tonight and I realized I will bleed red and white for the rest of my life. Just as my mom did with me, I'm going to have a hard time encouraging my kids to go anywhere besides Miami for school.

Here are some of the memories that hit me tonight:

  • Stanton Hall, where it all began at Summer Orientation, where I made my first friends, all from Columbus. And at the social that night, where I first met Amish, ahhh Amish.
  • Emerson Hall, senior year, my Pit boys, mud football, 11 great RAs, and all those climbs up to the 3rd floor. Where I was Elvis for Halloween and during RA training, I would blast music to wake myself up for my 3rd go-round of RA training (boooooring).
  • Western, where my brother lived. A part of campus I wish I spent more time on.
  • Bachelor Hall, where my first college class was, Calculus II with Mr. Davis, who was a big Miami football fan. He to this day was one of the best teachers I ever had at Miami.
  • Shideler Hall, all those APhiO meetings where I made a fool of myself as Spirit chair. But who could forget my speech for VP Community Service for my pledge class. Yes, yours truly busted out an NSync song, which of course made the difference.
  • Reid Hall, which I can't believe will be torn down/modified. My first venture as an RA. What a great staff, Brad "The Fad" Daugherty, Pauly D, Rebecca Vogel, Kim, and Leslie, best first-year advisor I ever had. The original home of Leadership.
  • Symmes Hall, where it all began. The smallest triple ever, next door to Juby and Chet from the basketball team, where we saw countless girls come in and out everyday. Then Juby would come in and use our phone and eat our food? There was Bear next door dancing to Big Pimpin every Friday afternoon. Reister, the most conservative guy I know and biggest Michigan St. fan there is, and Gerard, a great friend and a really nice guy. Flachbart, one of my best friends, big-time bballer, and Timmy Cole, Mr. Beavercreek, OH. There was Jonny G, the loudest drunk ever, banging on the door while Curt played his guitar mighty fine while drunk. Csaba, Mr. Athletic and Mr. Sports reporter, and Ryan, who is one of my best friends, who I've had the pleasure of having many fine dinners with this past year. The Dead Penguins broomball team, with Lucas and McFarland among others. My roomies, Will and Sosin. Will, I can't say enough about him, he was the Man. Sosin, well, he wore capri pants on the first day. The girls in 2 East, great times with Katie B haha, Kristin, Kara (great times in Social Dance); Erin from 2 West, smartest girl I know and most genuine, and the 1st floor, Michelle, Amy, Emily, singing for Katie Denton when she was leaving, and it goes on and on.
  • Symmes Hall, Part 2, Junior Year with Lil B, Mac, Michelle, and Loveland. The residents who I wrote up repeatedly, for alcohol and drugs. Chris Burton, one of my all-time favorite residents. The crazy 1st floor girls, who were always glad to see me haha. Ramen Romp, Reality TV Wed. nights, and the big party at 105 W. Central. Loveland going crazy when the cops came, me taking around the bullhorn on duty, and writing up the high school student as he carried a beer into the girls' bathroom.
  • Erickson Dining Hall, best dining hall on campus, where I first met Ben Roethlisberger. All you can eat brunch on Sundays, and the place to watch sports. Oh, and Boston Cream Pie, mmmmm.
  • Yager Stadium, where basically I'm the reason they moved the student section, me and my fellow HawkHeads. Seeing the defense blow games those first years, the loss to Ball St. that was on Letterman the next Monday, and the really bad losses to Northern Illinois and Central Florida. But who could forget the first time we won the Bell against UC, beating OU, You've Lost that Lovin Feeling, the BG and Marshall games, singing We Are The Champions. Doing the Roller Coaster before games, throwing people in the air for every point we scored. And of course, graduation last year, being on the big screen with my friends for some final memories with them.
  • Millett Hall. Beating Temple and Dayton. Rich Allendorf pump fakes, Notre Dame, and David West. Brandon Hunter and OU, and my many conversations with the refs. Bortz, and trying to be a dance team member. Where I'll receive my diploma in 2 weeks.
  • Flower Hall. Junior Scholars with Dr. Smith, the best advisor I've ever had, Kristin, a great friend and a great person to work with, Katy, the biggest bundle of fun who got me to karaoke last week, and Jessica, studwoman and a great friend. Not bad for being liberals haha. Where my last writeup of all things was.
  • Benton Hall. My coming out party senior year. RA training, getting Emerson staff on the stage, leading RA training in the roller coaster. In the words of Christina Aguilera, "It was just about time for my arrival." haha.
  • Laws Hall. Where the Econ struggle took place. Many countless hours in class and in the lab, working toward my degree. 100 Laws, seating 400 people for American History. The great professors I had: Dr. Hall, Dr. Crain, Dr. Brock (he did come to my defense) among others.
  • Upham Hall. The arch, lit up in splendor at night, just down the hill from the seal. No better view anywhere.
  • The Sundial overlooking Central Quad. Home first semester sophomore year, but where I would always go to reflect. It's where I went tonight, to think about how lucky I am to have gone to school in such a place for 5 years, where I have my Master's degree.
And there are plenty of other memories, but as of now, I don't have the time to go through them all. I'm sure many will come back to me as time progresses. My bro comes down to spend the night tomorrow, then I'm gone Thursday.

Thank you Miami, love and honor to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links