Friday, December 02, 2005

Time To Throw It Up

Tomorrow night begins the season for Northmont basketball and my first game as a coach. We play a very talented and athletic team in Meadowdale, which will challenge us. They're one of those teams that you can just as easily lose to them by 20 as you can beat them by 20. We have 17 guys, 17!!!!! We only intend to have a rotation of 8-9, which could make for some interesting team dynamics. I will do my best to keep those guys on the bench feeling positive, as I was once in their shoes. Their time to play is practice, and that's where they have to make it happen. I can't wait for tomorrow night, it should be fun.

This week my sinuses acted up so I decided not to go down and see Miami/Michigan hockey. I think rest is more important as Monday I'll need to be feeling as close to 100%, if not 100%, as possible. I will stay outside the city Sunday night, giving myself plenty of time to drive into downtown for my 11am interview. I wasn't crazy about the idea of driving for 4 hours, then going to interview. I like going up the night before, as if it were a game, and getting ready in comfortable settings. Plus this hotel has a hot tub, and I can't pass that up. I have most of my prep work done for the interview, I feel very confident about my chances.

Let's see, Miami basketball improved to 2-1 with an 8 point home win over Wright St. Miami plays its first conference game Sunday at Central Michigan. If Mt. Pleasant were a little closer to Detroit, I might have to go to that one, but it's a little out of the way. Wright St. may be the worst basketball team in Division 1 right now. Miami needs improved play from their guards if they're going to do well. They've gotten off to a good start, but with the likes of Xavier, Michigan, and Wichita St. coming up, Miami will have to play even better.

How about the environment in Bloomington for the Duke/Indiana game. The crowd came dressed in white and they were LOUD!!!!! And credit to them for not giving up after their team fell behind 16-2 in the early going. Marco Killingsworth is the National Player of the Year right now. He had 34 points and 9 boards against Shelden Williams, the reigning National Defensive Player of the Year!!!! Unfortunately, he ran out of gas at the end allowing Duke to pull away. It's scary to think how good IU will be once DJ White comes back. Indiana will contend for the Big 10 title. I think you better beat Duke now because they will continue to only get better as the season goes along. Josh McRoberts is starting to establish himself down low and Greg Paulus is more comfortable in his role as well.

North Carolina's freshmen impressed me more than Kansas's did. Brandon Rush showed flashes, but overall, I don't see superstardom right now in their future. Also, Nevada will be good again, but just like last year, they have no reliable 3-point threat except for Nick Fazekas, who is a stand-still shooter. Nevada can expect to see a lot of zone this year.

Have a good night everybody, that's all I got.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links