Monday, February 20, 2006

Time to Get Serious

Good morning and Happy Presidents' Day. Yesterday was our annual trek to the outlet malls and we took my mom out to eat for her birthday. We made the 50 minute drive down to Kenwood where I introduced my family to Maggiano's. Needless to say, they loved it, as I knew they would. Then we took my brother back to Oxford. It's been awhile since I've said this, but I can't remember the last time I was at Miami. But it's been a good weekend and later today I'll make the 3 hour drive back to the D.

But first, here is how my NCAA bracket would look if the tourney started today. The coming of Presidents' Day means the Madness is only a couple of weeks away. So here it is. I didn't follow all of the seeding rules, so I apologize for that. I just wanted to give you a taste as how I see it:

  • 1: Duke, Villanova, UConn, Memphis
  • 2: Tennessee, Iowa, Texas, Gonzaga
  • 3: Pittsburgh, UCLA, Ohio St., NC State
  • 4: Illinois, George Washington, LSU, Michigan St.
  • 5: North Carolina, Florida, Wisconsin, West Virginia
  • 6: Kansas, Oklahoma, Georgetown, Northern Iowa
  • 7: Washington, Boston College, George Mason, Marquette
  • 8: Alabama, Wichita St., Nevada, Michigan
  • 9: Creighton, California, Arizona, Kentucky
  • 10: S. Illinois, Cincinnati, Missouri St., Bucknell
  • 11: UAB, Seton Hall, Air Force, Syracuse
  • 12: Colorado, Utah St., Maryland, Western Kentucky
  • 13: Arkansas, MAAC, Horizon, MAC
  • 14: Southern, OVC, Big South, Big Sky
  • 15: Southland, Big West, Ivy, Northeast
  • 16: Atlantic Sun, Mid-Continent, America East, MEAC/SWAC

Not safe: UAB, Air Force, Seton Hall, Arizona, Michigan, Syracuse, Colorado, Utah St., Maryland, Western Kentucky, Arkansas

On the outside: UNC Wilmington, Indiana, Bradley, Charlotte, Houston, Old Dominion, Virginia, Florida St.

With all of the mid-majors in the hunt for at-larges as there are, if they don't win their respective conference tournaments, it will create bracket chaos. Kansas is seeded a little low I admit, but they can end up as high as a 2 if they win out. They play Texas for the Big 12 lead this week. We'll see how grown up the young Jayhawks really are in Austin Saturday night. The Big East has 8 teams, the Missouri Valley 4, although Southern Illinois needs a strong finish after losing at home to Louisiana Tech Saturday.

Finally, I watched the premiere of Knight School, the ESPN reality show featuring Bob Knight choosing a walk-on for next year's Texas Tech team. If I haven't said it before, I'll say it again, I put Bob Knight as the greatest coach of all-time. Definitely not the greatest person, but as a basketball coach, he is the best. Every school in America, from elementary to college run run some version of his motion offense. He wins with less talent more often than anyone. He gets the most out of his players, whether you agree with his methods or not, and I would've loved to play for him.

I enjoyed the show, but I wish there were more of the practices shown. Knight is a great coach, who keeps it simple, making him easy to learn from. Watching his practices, they were no different than what I went through in high school. Emphasis on defense, spacing on offense, rebound, play hard, and play smart. Honestly, I think I could hold my own against the players there. The loud-mouth guard is all talk and no game.

If you have any qualms with my bracket, let's hear them. March begins in 9 days!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links