Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Nothing better than Duke/Carolina

First, let me start by saying I'm playing hurt today. Yesterday while moving a table at work, it slipped out of my hand and cut me badly on my right middle and ring fingers. I have 4 stitches on my ring and 2 on my middle. So if there are some typos I miss, I apologize.

You can't do any better than Duke/Carolina and they played another wonderful game tonight. Not a great game, but a really good, spirited battle it was. I love watching Carolina's young guns play. They could've packed it in after trailing by 17 early in the 2nd half, but they fought back, took the lead at one point, fell behind by 7 with 45 sec. left, fought back again and even had a chance to tie it up at the end. Duke was bailed out by a 35 point effort from JJ Redick and Josh McRoberts played his best offensive game as a Dukie up to this point.

But there are some things that trouble me about Duke:

  • Too many turnovers. This was the first time I saw an opponent challenge Duke's ballhandlers and they didn't handle pressure very well.
  • Shelden Williams can't disappear. He needs to make himself more available down low.
  • Sean Dockery. He hit 4/6 from 3, but his two free throws at the end weren't even close. Then to make matters worse, he committed a foul making it a one possession game. Not how a senior should be playing.
  • Duke lets opponents off the hook on the road. They had UNC down 17, but let them back in the game. If it wasn't for Redick's shooting, they would've lost.

Also, Tennessee won for the first time in 7 years at Kentucky. Granted, UK is struggling, but the Vols overcame a big psychological hurdle in winning at Rupp. Bruce Pearl is a really good coach. His press defense is effective and he gets the flex to work at the Division 1 level.

I really need some sleep, so that's it for tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links