Thursday, February 02, 2006

Greetings from the D

Well, it's been awhile and I'll explain why, but I'm coming to you from the 313 (well, really I'm living in the 248, but this is the Detroit metro area still, and I work downtown, so I'm in the 313). Tomorrow, I will finish my 3rd week of work at the Fed. I won't be able to discuss many specifics about what I do. Basically, I work for the Branch President and the Senior Economist, putting together data and doing analysis on various topics. Then, the President and Senior Economist go around the state, region, and country and give presentations on the stuff I worked on to various groups. What's great is that it's basically my work, with their edits, so my work is going to be heard by a lot of people, which is fantastic.

But it all began Saturday, January 14th with one of the craziest, most stressful days of my life. It was crazy and stressful to begin with. It's not everyday your childhood basically ends and you move 3 hours away from everything you know. This isn't moving to Oxford, a place I knew pretty well before I went to school there. This is Detroit, Michigan, a place I don't know much about. Things that happened didn't help our situation. Our rental truck wasn't there when we went to pick it up in the morning, delaying our departure by 2 hours. When we arrived, the original apartment assigned to me was a disaster. On the ground level, it had sliding doors that didn't lock properly, meaning anyone could break in at anytime if they wanted to. Plus, there was a huge spot on the floor that couldn't be cleaned or covered up. Fortunately, I was able to get another apartment which so far has worked out ok. The physical portion of the moving in process didn't end until around 9 that night. I was so drained I was slap-happy.

My parents stayed the night because I didn't want them driving in unfamilar territory in the dark and I still had to get situated. But when they left the next day, it was the most emotional experience I've ever been a part of. This was it. I knew my mom would get emotional, but my dad lost it, which really surprised me. He can usually hold it in, but this moment got the better of him. And so here I am, at full adulthood, and enjoying it.

Here are some tidbits that I'm sure you're interested in:
Drive time for me is 35 minutes on a good day. When it snows, it's double that, especially on the way home. Everything goes west to east here because of the lake effect, making life miserable if you're heading into the wind.

Michigan has the worst drivers of anyone. Cars run red lights, pull out in front of people, and fail to drive in their lane. People are so bad, it's funny. That's the only way I can avoid road rage is by laughing. I have to be on my toes all the time.

Michigan also has the worst roads. I've never seen so many potholes and holes in the road in my life. No wonder so many people have SUVs here. It's to deal with the asphalt.

Then there is the "Michigan Left". Most of the main roads have medians, and because of the amount of traffic, people trying to turn left would bottle up traffic. So instead, you have to turn right on the road you want to go left on, then immediately get in the far left hand lane and do a U-turn, or Michigan left. Something you don't see anywhere else.

On my way to work, I cross 8 Mile Rd, yes, that 8 Mile. It's the road that divides the burbs and the city. Eminem doesn't live there anymore, he's out in Rochester Hills where he has a mansion.

At work, we have our own private food service and cafeteria that's better than even Erickson. The chef is a really nice guy and has a wide range of good eats. Plus, it's usually less than $5, so it's a great deal.

I have had a couple of Office Space moments. If you ask me personally about them, I'll tell you.

The local papers cover Detroit sports religiously. Everyone is frustrated with the Lions, optimistic about the Tigers, crazy about the Pistons, and in love with the Redskins. Michigan football and Michigan State basketball are the favorites, although Michigan has a good year in basketball, finally beating State this year.

I am working out at least 4 times a week: 30 minutes running, 30 minutes lifting. I have a free membership to a gym across the street from my apartment because I'm living in this particular complex. (Leg pressed 410 by the way today)

So, here's my day:
6:15 Get up
7am Leave
7:45 Arrive at work
12:30 Lunch hour
5:00 Leave work
5:45 Arrive home
6:00 Work out
7:30 Dinner

Yesterday I was shopping in Novi, still dressed in my business wear and overcoat, and it's amazing how differently people look at you now. They take you more seriously and look at you with respect, and that's a great feeling to have. I'm really fortunate to be in the postion I am and I'm lucky to be working somewhere that I enjoy going to every day. I know that's not the case with a lot of people.

And I really am enjoying it. I'm not nervous or worried about screwing up during the day when I'm working on something. I'm more confident and loving trying to work at the high level my bosses feel I'm capable of working at. Yeah, it's tough not knowing many people up here, but that's changing and I'm not too worried.

So that's it for now. I'll get into basketball the next time but I wanted to give you all an update of what life is like for me now. It's just what I envisioned the last several years, I'm exactly where I want to be and it's tough to match that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links