Thursday, December 29, 2005

2005. Pretty Darn Good

I've had some good years, 2000 and 2004 come to mind, but 2005 may have been the best thus far. I knew coming in this was the year of opportunity, where I had the chance to make some things happen for myself. Fortunately, I was able to do that. My year revolved around achieving 3 goals: getting down to 200 pounds, finishing the Master's in front of family, and getting a job. Let's see, check, check, and barring some unforeseen event, check.

Here's why 2005 was so good:
Becoming good friends with everyone in the Miami Econ Master's program. I learned a lot from everyone in and out of the classroom. It was nice knowing you were getting support from other people while trying to complete the Master's.

Going to the NCAA Tournament in Indianapolis with dad, bro, and Brad, three great people. I've been to the play-in game in Dayton several times, which gives you a taste of the NCAA atmosphere, but we got the real thing in Indy. I won't forget rooting Eastern Kentucky on, holding my breath as Fairleigh Dickinson kept it close with Illinois, and the atmosphere when Kentucky played Cincinnati. I can't wait to go back. I'd rather go to 20 NCAAs than 1 Super Bowl.

Coming back to get the grades I needed to finish my Master's. With 6 weeks left in the spring, things did not look good. I needed a few things to happen in order to get the grades I needed so I could start my thesis. Fortunately, all of those things happened, including a near perfect final exam in macroeconomics. It felt great coming through in the clutch.

Being able to present my thesis in front of my family was pretty special also. I got to share with them what I had been working on and working toward for the past year. That, then having my picture taken with my family in front of the soon-to-be demolished Reid Hall made it a pretty special day.

Going to Columbus for the Miami/OSU football game. Being able to spend the night with friends that I hadn't seen out and about Columbus was great fun. Then, going to the Horseshoe for the first time in 10 years to see my team take the field, even though they got beat, was awesome. It's hard to beat Gameday in Columbus.

Despite the long job search, I got to go to some great places. Staying in Downtown Cleveland gave me a taste of what the city life is like. I've been to Cincinnati many times, but I'd only been to Chicago once, and that didn't really count since we went to Evanston. In one day, I fell in love with the Second City, going to the top of Sears Tower, seeing everything Chicago had to offer. Then going to Detroit, where I may be headed on a permanent basis, before flying to Washington DC. Being in our nation's capital during the Holidays was pretty special. I'm glad I got to see the Mall again, I wish I had appreciated it more when I first saw it 11 years ago.

My family has spoiled me. Being there during the rough nights of the spring as I tried to get my grades up, being there when I presented my thesis and graduated, being there when I needed places to stay when I had to go out-of-town to interview, and how they've given me everything possible and done numerous favors for me, even though I can't pay them back has spurred me to close the deal. Finally, it looks like I'll be able to close the deal, and I'll finally be able to pay them back.

Getting to see good friends. The dinners with Ryan, the workouts with Stefanec, the Draft with John and Jason, learning the Bengals fight song, the pool with Michelle, dancing with Katy, basketball with Brad, golf with Randall, Jason and Dara's wedding, Columbus with Loveland, and my afternoon with Kathy are just some of the great times I was able to have with friends, and I thank them for those.

There was also: my karaoke performance at Brick St., refusing to vomit at Kings Island (that was big for me), 79 at Hueston Woods and 76 at Beechwood, my evening at the bar with Julie ("I notice you're watching Sportscenter, do you like sports?" If only I had asked for her number.), and seeing Miami win the MAC baseball tournament.

Coaching. Although it looks like this year will be cut short, I will be back on the sideline at some point. I enjoy basketball too much.

I'm thankful that my grandparents are getting healthy. Being there for them as they've fought through illness and injury made me realize that my struggles are secondary to what they're going through to make it through each day.

The job search. I thought it would be all over in August, everything was going my way. But it kept going, trying my patience and confidence. But here I am, on the verge of beginning my professional career.

I realize it hasn't been a great year for everyone, particularly those people who were directly involved with the tsunami and the Hurricanes. Because of those natural disasters, I am that more grateful for all the good that came my way this year.

This is what I wrote at the beginning of the year:
FINISH

My goal is to finish on time, get the grades I want, write a great paper, and get the job I want. The upcoming year holds so much promise, but business must be taken care of.

Again, barring some unforeseen event, I did pretty well. As my high school basketball coach says, "There are talkers and there are doers." I'm one signature away from DOING it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

BOOYAH!!

Tourney ruled buddy, so glad we did that. You forgot to mention seeing that poser Nick Lachey with his huge bodyguards and "Lachey" jersey!! Haha, the memories...

Best of luck in 2006 bud, hope to see ya more in it!

December 30, 2005 at 1:19 AM

 
Blogger Marty said...

I hope so, not that I'll only be an hour or so away from you. I'm pumped for your wedding, it's going to be fun. Give me a call sometime now that I'll be close.

December 30, 2005 at 7:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links