Thursday, December 08, 2005

Heavy Snow Warning

There are about 4 inches of snow on the ground here in the Dayton area, all of which has fallen in just the last 5 hours or so. It took me 30 minutes to get home from basketball practice; on a normal night it takes me 10. I drive cautiously when it snows/ices, unlike the people who have 4-wheel drive and aren't afraid to show it off. Schools are already cancelling, which puts tomorrow night's basketball game in jeopardy. We're scheduled to play Centerville, which will be a dogfight. Low-scoring, physical, intense basketball will be played at Northmont tomorrow night. I don't know if our guys are ready to play that kind of game, they'd rather get up and down the floor, which we'll try and do, but it's hard to do that against a team like Centerville.

I feel good about my interview in Detroit, which means absolutely nothing. It's now back to the waiting game, waiting for interview feedback and test results.

Today I decided to cook since I hadn't done that in awhile, so I made some chili and chocolate chip cookies. I have to say, my cookies came out really well. They are soft and yummy, if only you could have some, I think you'd be impressed.

And reportedly there's trouble between Britney Spears and Kevin Federline. Gee, no one saw this coming, especially when Kevin was out partying during Britney's pregnancy.

Now, to sports:

  • Tom Brady was chosen as Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year, a choice I can't disagree with. I was surprised to see that the only multiple winner of this title is Tiger Woods, not Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong, or anyone else. What I did disagree with was the inclusion of Danica Patrick's 4th place Indy 500 finish as a great performance. Her 4th place, in SI's opinion, was better than Tiger Woods winning 2 majors and finishing in the top 4 of all 4 majors, Annika Sorenstam's incredible year, and Lance Armstrong winning his 7th tour.
  • Miami basketball is 4-1 after beating a solid Oakland University team at their place Tuesday night. Now it gets interesting for the Redhawks, who begin a rigorous 4 game stretch which consists of: Xavier, at Wichita St., at Michigan, and Cincinnati. Meanwhile, Miami hockey rose to #2 in the national rankings after their sweep of Michigan, the highest ranking for any Miami team ever.
  • Randolph Morris is ineligible for 2005-06, which means Kentucky could be in trouble. They'll still be good, but without a reliable post threat, they won't go far in March.
  • Gary Barnett is out as Colorado's football coach. I can't believe this didn't happen right after the scandal of a couple of years ago. What a poor showing by them Saturday vs. Texas. They deserved to get hit by debris thrown from their student body after getting whipped at home vs. Nebraska. Ok, maybe not, but they're a bad excuse for a bowl team. Clemson should destroy them.
  • Martina Hingis is returning to the women's tennis tour, three years after retiring due to injuries. It will be interesting to see how she does against the big women's hitters. She's bulked up, but I think she'd be better off to sticking with her finesse game and her variety of shots. I don't think she can be #1, but she can get back into the top 10 and win another major.
  • I think Texas will beat Duke this weekend. They're a little better than Duke right now, which doesn't mean that will remain the case as the year goes on. I like the depth Texas has inside, and Shelden Williams is defenseless if you go right at him, as Indiana's Marco Killingsworth proved. I don't think Duke has an answer for PJ Tucker, since DeMarcus Nelson is hurt.
  • Speaking of Indiana, losing at Indiana St.????? Then, Iowa losing to Northern Iowa. Northern Iowa has a good team, but Indiana St.???? I think it's fair to say the Hoosiers were looking ahead to Kentucky this weekend. Because of this weekend, the Missouri Valley Conference may have guaranteed themselves two bids with their upset victories.
  • The only negative about my stay in Detroit was I didn't get to see the incredible games that took place on Fox Sports Net, which my hotel didn't get. This meant I missed Duke/Va. Tech and Gonzaga/Washington, both great games. The sacrifices I make....

That's all I've got, g'night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

thanks for the updates as always Marty!

December 9, 2005 at 2:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links