Friday, December 23, 2005

GOT ER DONE!!!!!!!

Finally it has happened to me right in front of my face
My feelings can't describe it
Finally it has happened to me right in front of my face and
I just can not hide it

-CeCe Peniston

Of course when I least expected it, I got the news I've been waiting for. Thursday afternoon, I have been offered the Associate Economist position at the Detroit Office of the Federal Reserve of Chicago. This came just hours after finishing my interview in Washington D.C. It's still sinking in, trust me. It hasn't hit me yet that this adventure may be over. Once I got an offer, I thought the hard work would be over. Boy was I wrong. Now as I contemplate whether or not to accept it, do I counter? Do I string it out, waiting for my test results and the outcome of Thursday's interview, both of which I should know by the beginning of next week. Then, I have to figure out where I'm going to live and prepare to be out on my own, for good.

But ya know, trying to answer these questions is a lot better than what I've been doing for the last 6 months or so. I'm grateful for the opportunity, but it will be a weekend of deliberation and consultation. A job with the Fed is ideal, and a big reason why I went back to get my Master's. But, can I do better??? That's what I have to figure out this weekend.

I know I've said this many times, but thank you to all those who have offered their support and good wishes as I've gone through the process, I really do appreciate it. I'm glad I've been able to finally come through in the clutch and deliver.

The offer has kind of overshadowed my outstanding trip to Washington D.C. and the time spent with my family there. They did so much for me, letting me stay, making sure I got to my interview early, taking me to and from the airport, cooking and treating me to meals, they really went out of their way for me. I was also fortunate after my interview to have a little time to stop in Downtown Washington and walk around, especially since I hadn't been there in more than a decade. I didn't have much time, but I did walk down Pennsylvania Ave., seeing a White House Chef among others. I walked some of the Mall, getting my first glimpse of the World War II Memorial, which was impressive. I didn't get to the Vietnam Memorial, which was disappointing, but I just didn't have enough time.

The number of houses/developments that have/are going up is incredible. They go as far as the eye can see. The traffic is incredible too. I feel like I've been in a traffic jam for the last 3 days. Gridlock everywhere you look. When I arrived Wed. afternoon, it took my uncle and I an hour and 45 minutes to go about 25 miles or so. The flying was ok, it had its plusses and minuses. Walking in the tunnel between terminals in Detroit was funny. The tunnel was lit up with neon lights that were in sync with techno music, making for an energetic walk. I still get a kick out of taking off and trying to figure out where you are by looking down at the ground. I even got to fly 1st class today on the leg back to Detroit, which was fun.

Some of the negatives were: inhaling McDonalds in between flights Wed. I thought I would have a few minutes to relax and eat, but when I got to the gate of my flight to Washington, they had begun boarding. Today, on the way back to Dayton, I was stuck on the left side of a puddle jumper, which means zero leg room. My left leg was wedged against my groin, not fun.

I'll have more to say about the trip, but I'm pretty exhausted. Off to bed, thinking about Motown!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

CONGRATS!!!!! That's great news Marty, what a great dilemma to have! All the best, buddy.

December 24, 2005 at 2:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links