Saturday, May 06, 2006

Crash

I went out and bought the Best Picture award winner and watched it today. I had been repeatedly told how good it was and finally I got the chance to see it and it was worth the hype. It's one of those movies that you get mad at because that's now how life it really is, but as you continue to watch, you realize the racism shown is racism that unfortunately takes place somewhere. I won't ruin the movie for those who haven't seen it, but I think the lesson is meet as many people as possible, that way you're exposed to different cultures, habits, races, etc. The more personal experiences you have, the more respect you gain for one's way of life, the less likely you'll have racist attitudes toward someone. I still have a lot to learn, but I have been fortunate enough to have met a lot of people and learned about them and the way they live their life, and every new person I meet, it makes me a better person after the fact. The only other Best Picture nominee I saw was Cinderella Man, and Crash was clearly better.

Congratulations to the Miami University Class of 2006. I hope you are having a great weekend. I can't believe it's been 2 years already since I completed my undergraduate work. Add to that I'll be 25 in a little more than a month and I feel old. Then I think about how much I've been able to accomplish before the age of 25 and it's amazing, I've been lucky to be given as many opportunities as I have to succeed. I'd like to think I've taken advantage of those.

Lance Armstrong is featured in this week's SI, I suggest you take a look. He continues to do great things for cancer patients, but I can't help thinking about him possibly cheating on his first wife, then Sheryl Crow. Is it ok for our heroes to have flaws. Lance does so much good, but his breakups hang over him. Is it ok that I admire certain things about him, but not all things? Does that make him a true hero? I don't know. One thing's for sure, it'll be strange not seeing him ride in the Tour in a couple of months.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEROES--
I can sum up your feelings of contradiction regarding a personality such as Lance Armstrong in one phrase: Hate the sin but love the sinner. That means that we are to love the person and the good he has done but not the sins or faults he's committed. To do this and not to judge is very hard. Until you realize one thing:
THE MINUTE WE JUDGE ANOTHER, THE HUMILITY LEAVES US AND PRIDE ENTERS IN. And once the pride is in place, God's Will diminishes and temptation by the Devil sneaks back in from the fray.
And this, based upon my own personal experiences and that of the saints, is how we allow ourselves to Sin.
It's odd, but as soon as we say to ourselves, "How could he do that to his wife?" and cast a judgement upon him, we ourselves become more vulnerable to sin. Isn't that strange? It's like a lot of things...they are somehow all tied together in one way or another.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS--
Looking at you through my eyes, I'd say you've accomplished much more than many people twice your age, especially in terms of kindness and those priorities you hold high. I'm proud of you.
U.M.

May 10, 2006 at 8:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links