Sunday, May 14, 2006

Diana, Princess of Wales

So I went home for Mothers' Day weekend, which was great. Great, but short. One very cool thing I got to do was visit the Princess Diana exhibit at the Dayton Art Institute. This exhibit has toured the country, and contains many photographs and other personal belongings (toys, diary, books, etc.). But a few things stand out:

  • Her wedding dress. Yup, the one she wore to her wedding with Prince Charles was on display and it was my favorite thing in the exhibit. You see it all the time in old pictures, but to see it in person, the 25 foot long train. That's more than 8 yards!!!
  • The number of personal condolences she received after she died. I don't know if it was just a sample or the whole collection, but either way, there was book upon book of them. And not just personal journal size books, these were encyclopedia volume type sized books.
  • The sampling of outfits she wore to events. Diana still defines class and taste. Add to that her big heart (she was involved with 100 different organizations at one point) and she was truly one of a kind.

I had just gotten off work at Kroger and was flipping through the channels when the story first broke. I went to bed, assuming she would be ok, hurt, but ok. When I woke up the morning after, I couldn't believe she was dead. I was immediately transformed back to that past moment when I visited the exhibit today. To be able to view the exhibit was definitely a privilege and an honor.

I also got to see my neighbor's new Pontiac Solstice while I was home. I am officially now saving up for one. I usually don't get excited about cars, but the Solstice, mmm mmm, must have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links