Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Wedding Singers

This past weekend, one of my cousins got married down in Dearborn, so I was reunited with my dad's side of the family, some of which I hadn't seen in over 10 years. It was great seeing them and we had a lot of fun at the wedding reception. I'll be able to see some of them again next weekend in Cleveland at a family reunion, which will be nice.

Now the wedding and reception itself were interesting because, well here you can find out for yourself:

  • After the wedding, there was no receiving line. And during the reception, the newlyweds didn't go around and introduce themselves. Luckily, I was able to see my cousin before the wedding, but I never got to meet the bride. So I really can't tell you anything about her, except she had blond hair and I liked her dress.
  • At the reception, after the bridal party was introduced was the toast. This usually doesn't occur until a little later on. Also, there was no bridal party table, everyone was mixed in with everyone else.
  • I never saw the bouquet or garter thrown. In fact, the bridal party disappeared for a couple of hours.
  • Then there were the wedding singers. They basically covered every song you couldn't dance to. They even sang songs that were played off of their original CDs earlier. It was so bad, we had to go up and ask for the Electric Slide to be played. But, they didn't have it!!!!! So they played some song I hadn't heard of, and we did the Electric Slide. No Electric Slide, YMCA, Hokey Pokey, or any other line dance. The most contemporary song that was played was I believe Prince's "You don't have to be rich to be my girl". I like oldies, and they played some Motown stuff, but you've got to play some new stuff also. Jesse's Girl is a good song for an 80s Party, not a Wedding. The most fun I had on the floor was when a group of us danced to the original versions of "Build Me Up Buttercup" and "I Can't Help Myself" when they were played on CD while the singers took a break. When they came back, they tried to sing "I'll Be There" and "Livin On A Prayer". In a word: pathetic.

At my wedding, there will be a DJ, and we will tell the DJ what songs to play. There will be dancing of all kinds, all night long. Just as the rappers say, "you'll be dancin til 6 in the morning".

Alright, let's get caught up on sports:

  • I've enjoyed watching the World Cup so far, there's been some good action. I'll be taking a long lunch tomorrow to watch the US/Czech Republic game.
  • Today's Roger Federer/Rafael Nadal French Open final was a little bit of a letdown. It's weird seeing Federer not dominate his opponent. Nadal is the definition of tenacious, he wants to rip your heart out on the court. His game is tailor-made for the clay, it will be interesting to see how good he can become on the other surfaces.
  • I know she's only 16, and this was only her 10th major tournament, but that was Michelle Wie's tournament. Tee to green, she is the best woman in the world right now, better than Annika Sorenstam. But on the greens, she's got a long way to go. She should be in the field for the Men's US Open also if she would've made those 2 2-footers she missed. I'm rooting for her, but the way she's failing in the clutch is a little troubling. Today, 16th hole, she missed the green with a wedge from the middle of the fairway. 17th hole, missed 10-footer for birdie. 18th hole, missed the fairway off the tee, misjudged her approach, 3-putted for bogey. I know she's young, I'm just saying Tiger Woods was pulling off some of these shots in US Amateurs to win.
  • The Tigers are hanging onto 1st place, and I find myself rooting for them. I've watched some of their games, and they play hard, harder than the normal pro sports team. It will be interesting to see how long they can stay in it, they might be a year away. They've got some very good young players.

It's US Open week also. Phil is the favorite, as he's halfway to the Mickel-Slam. Tiger might become the sentimental favorite as he's playing for his dad. Tiger winning on Father's Day would be very emotional.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

welcome back Marty! I missed the posts!

June 12, 2006 at 11:54 PM

 
Blogger Your Singing Waiters said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 30, 2013 at 3:42 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post.. thank you for sharing.. I like to read your posts because they seems quite interesting. In this post i really enjoyed reading the portion regarding wedding singers. Keep on sharing such posts

April 2, 2013 at 3:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Links